Email 62: Blood Donation and HIV

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 9:21 PM

"Hi Pozziepinoy,

Thank you for your blog. I have a concern. I am a registered nurse. I have always wanted to take the test but I have some privacy issues. In our city, we have testing centers and I know those who are in charge of both facilities and they know me as well. They do not have any idea about my sexual orientation and I don't want them to know about it.

I have engaged in several unprotected sex, mostly oral sex, that's why I think that I am at risk. XXX of last year, I donated blood with Red Cross and days, weeks and months have passed, I was not informed of my blood test so I assumed that I am negative. Last week, I had another blood donation. Until now, I have not received any communication from the blood center that my blood is tainted. Do you think it is already safe for me to assume that I'm HIV negative? I've stopped having sex even with my partner whether safe or unsafe. I'm more devoted to my religion instead... :) 

Please shed some light. I know it's inappropriate to know my status through blood donation but then I have no choice :("


POZZIEPINOY'S REPLY

Hi.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for reading my blog entries.

I talked to a high ranking official in the Philippine Blood Bank and asked about your question. He said that blood donation is screened for HIVin their center and if it turns out to be positive, they send the blood to RITM for confirmation. If from the ELISA test, it turns out positive, then they inform the donor that they can't use the blood and advice them to go to the Philippine Blood Bank to know the result and for a voluntary counselling. Since it is against the law, the donor will have to get the result personally and has the option to get the counselling. The official said that Red Cross may or maybe doing this too, but he reiterated that the best way is really to have your own blood get tested for HIV and not assume based on whether the blood banks will respond or not. 

Maybe you can get tested not in your city but from some other place to protect your identity. If you can come to Manila, I can have you assisted here.

I think health should be your priority now and the longer you delay it, the longer will be for you to really know your health status. Other PLHIV's (like me) only found out that they are HIV positive when they are already have opportunistic infections so you should be responsible now so you wont regret it later.

Please email me again if you have other concerns.

Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy


XXX'S REPLY

"Thank you so much for your reply.  I called-up Red Cross earlier and other agencies regarding my concern. They told me that they usually call their donors within 24 hours if they found out something. Those donors will be given counselling before sending their blood samples to Manila for further testing. If no call or any means of communication was received usually within 24 hours after they have donated blood, then their blood is safe. But then, if the donor believes that his or her blood is not safe even if the blood tests went fine, the blood bank should be informed because of the window period of the disease. 

I am a regular blood donor since 2007. I have donated blood for 9 times already and the last one was just last XXX. 

Thank you for your advice. I will have my blood tested once I'm in Manila anytime this month to have a peace of mind. Whatever will be the result, I'll be ready for it. "



*** Please answer the poll question on the LEFT SIDE of the Main Page. I want to hear from you!

© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: 
Image by FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Tags: HIV Manila, HIV Philippines, AIDS Manila, AIDS Philippines, HIV/AIDS Manila, HIV/AIDS Philippines