Email 80: Will I Lose Weight?

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 9:43 AM

Hi Pozziepinoy. 

I am a newly diagnosed person living with HIV. I just received my confirmatory last week and my baseline tests this week. According to the doctor I'm okay. My CD4 count  is 590. Is this number something I should be happy about? Will I be able to increase it?



My main concern is that I do not want to lose weight. I have been working out for 4 years. And have gained maybe around 15-20lbs over the years. I stand at 5'9 and now i weigh 77kilos not all muscle hehe. You mentioned that you are still muscular. I'd like to stay the same and hopefully make some more gains in the gym. Since I am not yet recommended to start ARVs should i expect my size to drop? I am just worried that i will get thin and lose my gains. Is there anything you can suggest or anything I can do? Any advice will be appreciated. 

Thanks very much.

XXX


POZZIEPINOY'S RESPONSE


Hi XXX,

Thank you for your email.

I am glad that you got yourself tested and was able to know your status. You still have a high CD4 and you can maintain or make it even higher by taking care of your body: by not getting sick and by having a healthy lifestyle. 

I am still muscular up to now because I still do my regular 5 X a week weight lifting and cardio exercise program. Everytime people see me, they always say I look good and this I attribute to my regular workout, to my healthy diet and positive disposition in life even with HIV.

Don't worry about it. You won't lose weight, unless you often get sick, not eat properly and not workout anymore. Those who prioritize their health look as healthy as before they got diagnosed, so don't fret.

I hope I was able to answer your question. Feel free to email me again if you have other concerns.

Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy



© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: