Email 142: " Where Do I Start?"

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 11:59 AM

Hi Pozziepinoy,

I just saw your blog this morning, and right away I wrote this email to you. I am an HIV positive, and was diagnosed last year May in Singapore where I worked previously. Now I'm back in Philippines and don't know where to go and ask for treatment. I know there are lot
of organisations around and hospitals, but I'm not sure and in doubt which one can really help me or trust in this situation.



When I saw your blog, it really does help me and gain more hope that there is someone who can help me. I'm really in need of help now, coz my health is no longer as normal compared before. I get sick often and feel weak most of the time. 

I really don't know where to seek help, because as much as possible I want my situation to be kept confidential, which even  my own family and friends don't know anything about this, only me and the doctor in Singapore.

I already realized and know all the mistakes and learned a lot from my wrong doing in the past. I'm also expecting to receive such judgement, but hope not to get too much to the extent will step on me rather than helping me and focus on my health.

Im writing you this, maybe you can suggest or recommend a good doctor who can really help me and has a compassionate heart for a person positive with HIV. Maybe you can attach his contact number and where to see him. 

Thank you so much in advance and god bless you always.

XXX



POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi XXX.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for reading my blog.

Let us take a step at a time. First you said that you got diagnosed in Singapore, which means the test was done there. If that is the case, you need to take the HIV test here again for you to be enrolled in any treatment hub, to avail of all the free labs and treatment under the OHAT Package of PhilHealth. You can get the HIV test in RITM Satellite Clinic in Malate. You can look for Lean or Phil and just mention that Pozziepinoy referred you. They will assist you there. Don't worry, the staff there are all professional, non judgmental and accommodating.

Once you have the confirmatory result, you have to make a choice. Do you want a private HIV doctor or an HIV/AIDS Treatment hub doctor? Well what's the difference between the two? 

First the private HIV doctor will cost around P500-P1000 per visit and may possibly refer you to get all your labs in any hospital. Laboratory tests would cost you around P5,000-10,000 depending on which hospital you are going to take them. Then you will be required to get the CD4 test which would cost you around P2,000 to P3,500; and the Viral Load which will cost you around P7,000 to P12,000. When your private doctor prescribes you with medicines (ARV's), you will either go to an HIV/AIDS Treatment hub or the doctor will bring them to you with a handling fee.

On the other hand, if you would go to an HIV/AIDS Treatment hub, everything is already there: HIV doctor, lab tests and ARV's. It is a "one-stop shop". The doctor's consultation is free. Some hubs would even provide free labs and CD4.

So it is your choice. But first, take the HIV test again. You need to take that first step again before you think of the next steps.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy



"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-


© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: