Email 175: Anal Warts and ARV's

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 10:20 AM

Hello Pozziepinoy,

First of all I would like to greet you a Merry Christmas and thank you for this blog site.

I'm a newly confirmed and was advised to take the ARV's treatment this coming January. I have anal warts and it's now multiplying. Because of your blog site I was able to know that RITM satelite is opering a procedure for warts removal. My question is... Do I need to remove the warts first before undergoing ARV? or can I do it while undergoing the treatment? 


I know that you are not a doctor, but can you do me a favor? I know your doctor is good! Can you ask her?

I appreciate any response. God bless!

Regards,

Mr. Empty



CONTRIBUTOR’S RESPONSE

Hello Mr. Empty,

Genital or Anal Warts are caused by infection with certain strains of the human papilloma virus (HPV). It is strongly associated with HIV since both disease can be acquired through sexual contact. The difference is, HIV can be transmitted through unprotected sex while HPV can be transmitted with a simple skin to skin contact. 

To answer your question, though both are associated with each other, their treatments are totally different. Whether you undergo the treatment prior to or after taking ARVs does not really matter. The fact that you have them should be enough for you to have them removed. If they are not removed, the warts usually grow larger and multiply. Left untreated, the warts may lead to an increased risk of cancer in the affected area. Additionally, the rate of growth of genital warts increases if the immune system is damaged so the earlier you get the treatment the better. Also, keep in mind that recurrence is highly anticipated. Talk with your doctor about getting HPV vaccine to prevent recurrence. 


SurvHIVor
Philippine Contributor





"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-


© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: 
Image by Google Image