Email 149: Best Supplements for HIV?

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 5:48 PM

Hi POZZIEPINOY,

I would like to know what are the best food supplement/multivitamins available here in the Philippines, thaw we can take together with our ARV's especially I am newly diagnosed last Oct 2012. Start my ARV 1st week of Jabuary. especially to lessen side effects. If Herval multivitamins like malungay life oil, or with glutathione is also good.

Thank you and more power.

xox

POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi xox.

Thank you for email. Thank you also for finding my blog. I hope you can find all the information about HIV in the Philippines here.

Regarding your question, I asked the same question to Dr. Ditangco a few months of taking my ARV's. She only told me that there are no proven facts that supplementation can help with HIV. I asked her about selenium, glutathione, VCO, etc, but she said why do I have to take them when I can get the necessary vitamins and mineral by eating all the right kinds of food. Being in a medical field and into fitness, I totally agreed with her.

We all read and hear everything about supplements in the internet and from our fellow PLHIV's. Sometimes we want to believe that what works for others might also work for us without even establishing the fact that each PLHIV has a different medical history. We also assume an unknown path rather than trodding a path taken by others with the guidance of our doctors. In my opinion, if we want to try anything, we should always ask the permission of our doctors first as they should be partners with our condition. We should discuss anything with them so we can get their wisdom and their experience. They know best, since they know all our medical history, and they know what is appropriate and what is possible.

I am not saying that you can't  take any supplements with ARV's, however you must talk to your doctor first before taking any of them. For me, the right recipe to getting back track to good health is eating a balanced diet, exercise, rest and recreation, enjoying life and happy disposition in life.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy


"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-


© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: