Email 137: "Do I Have STI?"

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 6:08 AM

Hi Pozziepinoy,

I read your blog post regarding the satellite testing clinic by ritm at malate.

For the past week, I had fever, frequency in urination and uneasiness when urinating.


After having a check up with a fam med, I had CBC and urinalysis in which the results are clean/ok. I told the fam med the symptoms, and she said it MIGHT be urethritis. But i read the cause of that, and it's either gonorrhea or not. I have a bf but we haven't had anal but only oral sex.

But just this weekend, the fever was gone. And felt better when urinating.

Recently, I noticed some yellowish small ink blot like discharge. Not smelly and not many.

I was not given any meds yet.

So i would like to ask if it's STI or what. Should i get tested? Should i consult an infectious disease doctor at the clinic?

If so, how much is the consultation with infectious disease doc? Should I still consult with a urologist? Can STI's be detected in the tests?

I hope you could help me out :)

XXX


POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hello there.

Since you have already consulted with your family doctor and had several lab tests done, I am sure you have been told that urethritis (inflammation of the urethra) is caused by a variety of reasons, including STIs like gonorrhea. Those at risk for urethritis are usually men ages 20-35 years old as they engage in high-risk behaviors such as not using condoms or engaging in anal intercourse.

But then again, basing from your sexual history, you said that you have not done anal sex. If having a second opinion would make you feel more comfortable, then I highly recommend you seeing one. You've said that you consulted with a family doctor, but have you been open to her about your sexuality and your sexual activities? Urethritis can be a sensitive topic because one of its main causes is sexual in nature, and you may have taken in consideration that you consulted a family doctor. A more comprehensive sexual history may be needed from you.

Apart from having a second opinion, it is also highly recommended that you take an HIV test. I suggest that you take it at RITM Satellite in Malate. It is located beside Solanie Hotel, at the back of Philippine Women's University. The main purpose for this is to determine the status of your sexual health. Aside from HIV, they have tests for gonorrhoea, syphilis, hepa B. There is also an infectious disease there. Just look for Lean or Phil and mention Pozziepinoy so you can be assisted.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pinoy Positive
Philippine Contributor



"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-


© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: 
Image by Google Images