Email 168: Ordering ARV's Abroad

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 8:44 AM

Hi,

First off, thanks so much for continuing to have this site running.  I can see how all of us find it so very useful.

So I'm living with HIV.  Got diagnosed in 2010.  Had two CD4 checks in 2010 and ended at 600+ which I was thrilled about.  But it's approaching 2013 and I figure that must have changed already.


Then with a combination of dread and I suppose some  laziness I stopped getting CD4 counts. RITM is too far away from me and 7 am is somewhat difficult for me to meet.

So my question is, I noticed you posted Makati Medical Center as a treatment center.  Would you recommend any doctors there?  Do they do CD4 tests?

Also, do you know anyone who has been buying viraday online?  The truvada generic brand from India?  I figure I need to start HAART now even if my next test is around the 500's...  to be honest I am worried that the free pills RITM provides will run out or that I am forced to go there monthly.

I apologize if the questions are too specific.  I do not know anyone else I can ask these questions to who are HIV+.  I suppose you and your blog are my only sources of information here in Manila.

Thank you.

XXX



POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi XXX.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for finding my blog. I am glad that it has become the source of information about HIV in the Philippines. This blog has become my life and writing makes me aware that I have the disease. Like most of us, I need to be aware that HIV lives with me and that by writing and reading all your emails, I become in tune with reality and face life with it.

I am glad that you got tested early as it shows that you had high CD4 in your previous tests. Like what I am telling others, it is best to take the test early when they think they have been exposed to the virus, while it hasn't replicated yet so they can keep their counts high by focusing on staying healthy. 

I agree that RITM-ARG  is far and 7am is too early. However, it is one of the best, if not the best HIV/AIDS Treatment Hubs in the country. It is the one of the hubs that always have ample supply of ARV's. Unlike other treatment hubs, RITM-ARG has never had any problems with their supply of ARV's. Unlike other hubs that run out of ARV's to meet the growing demands of their patients, RITM-ARG has never run out of ARV's for the simple reason that their the Clinic, headed by Dr. Ditangco, is so organized and that the staff really put their patients first. They know the importance of having ample supply of ARV's so they always monitor their supply. I used to belong to a private HIV/AIDS treatment hub but I switched to RITM-ARG because I felt the heart of the staff there; I felt that the people in RITM-ARG really wants to help all their patients. 

However, it is your choice if you want to transfer to Makati Medical Center. I don't know any doctors there but I know that you can find good HIV doctors there as well. You can just look for one in their directory. 

With regards to ordering from other countries, it is also a choice you have to make. However, you have to consider these things before you make your decision:

1. Monthly prescription for your ARV's. All ARV's need prescription. This means that you will need to see your doctor every month to get it. Unlike in the HIV/AIDS Treatment hub, like in RITM-ARG, when you get a refill, you don't need to see your HIV doctor anymore.

2. Cost of the ARV's. Of course the ARV's here are in country, both the government HIV/AIDS Treatment hubs and private hubs (but with a handling fee per bottle) are FREE because they are subsidized by the Global Fund. Also, PhilHealth is on the standby in case the Global Fund pulls out so there really is nothing to worry about. If you opt to get your ARV's outside the country, you have to consider the cost of the ARV's per month. The price range of the ARV's (non-generic) is from $2,000-$3,000 monthly but you can get the generic ones for a cheaper price. 

3. Shipment of the ARV's. Of course aside from the actual price per month of the ARV's, you need to consider the international shipment or handling fee per month too. Also, you need to consider the delays in shipment. Taking ARV's is a lifetime commitment while waiting for the cure and missing doses can cause resistance to the very medicine that we are taking. 

4. Monitoring. You also have to consider the monitoring of side effects. If the ARV's you ordered from other countries have side effects, then of course, it will take time for your HIV doctor here to switch to another kind of ARV. Unlike here in the country, if there are side effects to one medicine in the cocktail, the HIV doctor can make you stop it and replace it with another fast. Decision making is easier for doctors here as there are readily available supply of other ARV's here in the local treatment hubs.

It is a choice you have to make. Try talking to your HIV doctor about it so you will know your options. Partnering with your doctor with your health is the most important aspect of the HIV treatment.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy





"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-


© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: 
Image by Google Image