Email 144: Where to Get Cheap VL?

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 6:56 PM

Hi Pozziepinoy,

I came across your blog and wanted to ask something about the viral load test.

Do you know other facility aside for RITM that offers reasonable rates for the test?

My doctor is from The Medical City and they charge 11k for it. My doctor said I could have it in other facilities, so I'm looking for options.



I hope you could help me.

By the way, thanks for being one of those who are very brave in facing HIV.

Cheers to good life!

XXX



POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi XXX.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for the kind words. We all need to be brave in facing HIV. That is one of the best ways of fighting it and "taming" this virus. We all need to be brave to show to the whole world that HIV that even though we live with a virus, we can still have control over our lives.

It is true that The Medical City (TMC) charges P11,000 for the viral load test. I know that because I used to be a patient of an infectious disease doctor there. At that time, I didn't know that I can get it in other facilities. Now, I found out that you can get the VL in other facilities.

I blogged about it before. You can check out the link: CD4 and VL Fees. You can choose which facility you want to get it from.

The difference in fees rely on the speed of getting the result and where they are sent to. In the government owned facilities, usually they have to meet a number of blood samples before they run test, that is why they are cheaper. One has to wait for 2 weeks or more before you get the result. In TMC, when I was confined there, I got the viral load in less than a week, but of course I paid more. Also, in the private hospitals they send the blood sample to the government owned facilities like RITM and SLH so the add handling fees, thus with the high fees.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy


"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-


© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: