Email 156: HIV and Off-the-Roof Positivity

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 8:35 AM


Hi!

I have been reading your blog during the past few days. Your outlook with your situation really inspires me A LOT. I recently got tested for the presence of antibodies for HIV, and it turned out to be nonreactive. It gave me an awesome feeling when the counselor told me that the HIV test turned out to be negative. Awesome feeling because I had multiple partners when I was still in the Philippines and when I started working here in the US.



By coincidence, I just saw this flyer in our apartment's lobby that there was a free HIV testing that day so I immediately went to the testing center, which is a walking distance from where I stay. I guess, I already experienced the longest 15 minutes of my life while waiting for the HIV result. Too many what if's popped out in my mind. Since I received my recent HIV test result, I become aware of HIV and its potency as a retrovirus.

As a chemist, I am more concerned on how tough it is to attack the virus itself and consequently, getting rid of it from the body. Those ARVs that you are taking only function to alter the reproduction of the virus. 

With the current science available in combating HIV, I definitely have to agree with you that having a positive attitude towards your situation would make it manageable to live with the virus. And your blog is just a testament of how your optimism is helping you a lot to live and enjoy life with the virus. I'm sure, you already have touched people who are in the same situation, but let me tell you as well that you also touched other people who are living without the virus... just like me.

PinoyChemist




POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi PinoyChemist.

Thank you for your email. I am glad that you were able to find my blog during the times that you needed it. Thank you for the kind words and I assure you that I will keep on sharing positivity everyday here in my blog, not only to pozzies but to everybody that might need it.

I am so proud of you for having the courage to take the test. You should serve as a role model to others who know that they had multiple unprotected sex before, and still are having unprotected sex up to now and yet are still not taking the right steps in taking care of themselves and protecting others. 

Taking the test is not easy, and waiting is really a killer like what you experienced. But it is better to do it now than regret it when it is already too late. It is better to do it now, than having to suffer the consequences of having infections. It is better to do it now when we don't feel anything yet so we can focus and think of the right steps to take in dealing with the disease.

Staying positive inspite of being HIV positive really helps. There is no cure yet but the treatment can "tame" the virus while we are all waiting for it. Staying positive energizes our weakened body and spirit and it keeps us going with our fight, with our struggle for healthy and normal lives. Only by hope and optimism can we make our future brighter! 

Once again thanks for this heartwarming email.

Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy


"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-


© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: