Email 178: Question About Blood Donation

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 10:59 PM

Hi Pozziepinoy,


I have a question about blood donation.

Today I encountered volunteers from a Buddhist temple announcing they have blood letting drive. I used to donate before in my college years.

I am now in Singapore.


Since I haven't had M2M sex for almost six months now and my HIV test last week turned out negative, I signed up. I never really get sick except for colds which naturally hits me annually, but other than that I'm always in the pink of health, kaya malakas loob ko.

The screening doctor politely said I can't donate blood, it's in their policy. I admire how simple their rules are.

I am wondering how about in the Philippines, how strict we are with the rules? What if the deed was done a year ago? Or two years ago?

Or should I totally drop my notion of donating blood?  

(If I had a recent partner or currently having one even if it is monogamous, I will drop the idea.)

Thank you.

XXX


CONTRIBUTOR'S RESPONSE

Hi XXX.

Thank you for the email.

Window Period is usually 4-6weeks up to 3months. You can get tetsted as early as 4 weeks actually. Within that period your body has not yet developed enough antibodies for it to be detected by the HIV Antibody test. It could reveal a false-negative or indeterminate result. And within this period a person who has the virus could already pass it on to another person.

Since you haven't had any sexual activity or any risky behavior for 6 months then it's very much safe. However Blood donation does have strict screening procedures wherein if you are exposed to any risky behavior that would lead you to aqcuire any sexually transmitted infection then they would discourage you to donate blood. However the problem arises if the person who donates blood does not disclose or is in denial of his actvities that could lead him in acquiring STI.

And another thing When you donate blood they do screen it for STI's. But to clear things out, THEY TEST THE BLOOD, NOT THE PERSON. If ever that blood reveals any possible STI, then it's in their SOP to dispose the blood right away without infroming the client.


I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
JakePositive RN
Philippine Contributor





"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-


© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: 
Image by Google Image