Email 177: Anal Warts Removal in PGH

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 10:18 PM

Hi Pozzie, 

Thank you for this blog site, we would be able to communicate in our simple way as we can.

I am a newly diagnosed PLHIV. I was shocked that I cannot move on when I first heard it but, because of this site and RITM Satellite Clinic in Malate where advise was given to me, I was able to move on and face the reality.  I am enrolled right now in RITM-ARG in Alabang and somehow happy to say that I am not yet under HAART because my CD4 count is 555.


The reason behind why I was diagnosed with HIV is because of my genital warts (Anal warts in particular).The screening was conducted to see to it that I am not carrying any other viruses and sexually transmitted Infections (STI). But unfortunately, it went out positive in HIV.

I had my first cauterization of my anal warts last October 2011 by a certified dermatologist. The warts were removed but it takes 3 weeks to heal. Cauterization was expensive; I paid P5,000 to the doctor aside from the P500 consultation fee per visit. You will be prescribed to purchase your anti-biotic to prevent infection, which is stafloxin that cost P45 per tablet. You need to take it 3 times a day in 2 weeks.

After 2 weeks, I noticed that the warts recurred in the same area. I did not return to the dermatologist who performed the cauterization because of the associated cost. I went to RITM-Alabang and consulted their Derma Department through RITM-ARG because pozzie has different schedule in their Derma Consulation (Every 2pm only) but unluckily they don’t have cauterization for anal warts due to limited facilities and equipment.

The next day since I have my Blue Card and registered patient of PGH, I went to their Derma Department during the consultation I was referred by the Dermatologist to the surgery section to remove my warts because they cannot perform the cauterization in their clinic.

When was in the surgery section, the surgeon told me to go first to ID doctor for my HIV infection. He needed the consent of an ID doctor regarding with my HIV infection.  When I was there, the Infectious Disease doctor he told me that it is not necessary to secure the copy of my record in RITM because I’m already enrolled that hub. So instead, he advised the surgeon to proceed with the cauterization of my anal warts. The surgeon then scheduled my cauterization this January 2012.

The procedure is Free in PGH as long as you are a Phil Health member. You need to secure your MDR in PhilHealth and accomplished CF1 (Claim form 1) from Philhealth for employed member and should be duly signed by your employer. Submit these requirements to Philhealth satellite office in PGH before the scheduled surgery so that (Operating Room fee, Professional fee, Anesthesia (local, Spine or general), and other expenses will be provided for free. And aside from that, there’s no consultation fee in PGH as long as you have your blue card.  All you need to do is to purchase the protective garment, google and rubber gloves for the surgeon because these are not covered by PhilHealth. This cost is only P2,400  and can be purchased in PGH pharmacy. This will be prescribed to you before the operations.

By the way, if you will have your cauterization in a private doctor it will cost you almost or more than P25,000. Anal warts are not terminal diseases that require urgent treatment. I am in a hurry before; I really wanted to remove it ASAP without knowing the other possible options that will have the same effect. That’s why; I incurred a lot of expenses. Patience in looking for other options is a virtue.  And being patient to ask help from a government hospital like PGH is highly advisable in this economic time.

I am not yet cauterized in PGH, but I do hope that the procedure will be successful this January. Rest assured that I will email again and share my experience in PGH.

Through this email, I do hope that I would be able to help my fellow pozzie.

Best Regards,

XXX



POZZIEPINOY'S RESPONSE

Hi XXX.

Thank you for sharing. I wish other PLHIV's will share their experience in other hospitals and other hubs so that everyone will know their options.

Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy





"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-


© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: 
Image by Google Image