Email 311: Do I Have to Disclose to My Dentist?

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 9:20 AM

Hi Pozziepinoy.

If I'm going to a dentist, do I have disclose to him/her that I'm HIV+?
Can the dentist refuse to do oral prophylaxis or tooth extraction or bleaching if the patient is HIV+?

If they do refuse, where can I have dental services?

Thanks!




POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi.

Thank you for your question.

On your side, it is really up to you if you want to disclose your HIV status or not. However, if you would ask my honest opinion, if anybody would do something that may involve an exposure with my blood, I would definitely disclose my status. I strongly believe that we have the capacity to stop the virus from spreading to others and by disclosing our status to a health professional, you are guiding him or her to handle any procedure with care so as to protect himself and possibly others.

I do remember in a private hospital after I got diagnosed when I underwent a series of blood work. The nurses there were not even wearing gloves as they were drawing blood from me. I didn't disclose my status but I told them to wear gloves in case I indeed have a virus inside me. Of course, the scare tactic worked and I believed I was able to remind her of her duty to herself as a heath care professional.

With regards to a dentist rejecting service to a PLHIV, you can refer to the RA 8504, Article VII (Discriminatory Acts and Policies), Section 40 (Discrimination in Hospitals and Health Institutions) which states that , "No person shall be denied health care service or be charged with a higher fee on account of actual, perceived or suspected HIV status." Of course, there is still a possibility of rejection but if you want to pursue a case, you can do so. I know it is, of course a long process but if you want to fight for your right, you may definitely do so.

I asked Dr. Ditangco, the head of RITM-ARG in Alabang and she recommended a dentist who has no hang ups with PLHIV's. She already gave me his number and in case you want to get it, just email me at pozziepinoy@yahoo.com again. Just tell the dentist that Dr. Ditangco referred you to him and he won't ask about your HIV status anymore.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy





"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



If you have comments or questions, please click this link:






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: