Email 321: About Adherence

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 8:03 AM

Dear friend,

I happened to read your advice on how to stay adherent to ARV medications. This is so helpful to me. I just started the medication. Thanks God i dont have much side effect. But one thing i need to get your advice is how to always stay adherent.

Now I take ARV at 22:30 everyday and i sleep around 23h. Some days i feel very tired when I want to have an earlier sleep like 22h. Do u think I can take ARV during 22h - 22h30 and it's still considered good adherence?

Look forward to your advice

Thanks a lot

Williams




POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi Williams.

Thank your for your email.

Good adherence when it comes to taking ARV's is taking them at the same time everyday. I for one made it a habit to take them at exactly 10pm. My alarm is set at 9:58pm to allow me to run and get my ARV's and water. In my 1 year and 8 months of being a PLHIV, I just been late for only 1 time of about 2 hours when I left them at home when I went to Subic. For me, because I got too focused on adherence, it was a matter of life and death for me as I know the ARV's are the reason why I am still alive, and the reason why my Viral Load has become undetectable in just 1 year. 

For me good adherence is the commitment of sticking to the scheduled intake of ARV's no matter how hard it is, no matter how tired we are, no matter where we are. Good adherence is acknowledging the importance of the ARV's as our life savers, like telling ourselves that it is our "air" to breathe. Adherence should also go beyond just schedules of the ARV's. It is now our commitment to life, to ourselves and to our loved ones.

In your case Williams, I really can't say that it is ok to bend over to the needs of your body. If you think you need to adjust your schedule, then do so but you have to stick to it. You can't just have a range of time wherein you can them. Think and plan a new schedule that will work best for you but no matter what you have to stick to it. 

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy




"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



If you have comments or questions, please click this link:






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: