Email 327: HIV in the USA

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 7:58 AM

Dear Pozzie,

Im very grateful that i found this website again your blogs makes me feel very good inside  even with all the circumstances and hindrances i have felt right now but to look for a better positive view in life again is very refreshing.This is my 2nd time in writing you but i would like to thank you for responding me on my first email.I am the one who lives in the USA with my wife and not long ago diagnosed positively.Now i felt so much better after 3 months in adherence by taking my ARV's and Tb meds and some of my vitamins to mintain my good health intact.im now healthier and so much better and regain my weight back maybe because of my good appetite.from 145 to 165 pounds and im already undetectable in just 3 weeks of taking the ARV's so my doctors are very happy with the result although in the first weeks was very difficult because of the side effects of the medicines.but because of my determination i fight for it.zero viral load is such an overwhelming feelings and now i can breathed and very happy.Thanks god for for giving me this 2nd precious life that i need to treasure forever and valued.Im now determined to live life to the fullest and make it more meaningful inspite of all the difficulties and hardships that i been through in my life.


Before i came to the USA,I was thinking that its a lifetime changes by marrying a woman that i love very much.Although she has two children in her past but i accepted her with all my heart.and i was right especially when we found out that im positive. My dreams were shattered and my world collapsed.i felt like the whole world is in my shoulder.its the most scariest and painful news that i ever recieve in my whole life.icant bilieve it when the doctors told me i cried so much infront of them and i cant accept the fact that im going to die so soon im so scared a lots.but they are nice to me and tried to comfort me inspite of the bad news that i heard.
knowing that i have incurable desease,the stigmatism and anxiety was always there.me and my wife only knew whats my real condition.I remain strong and keep my faith in God always prayed to cope all this problems that we had.Im always looking for a bright side as you said there is always a light in the tunnel.It is always my comfort zone knowing that promise soon God will wipe out every tears in our eyes and death will be no more nor outcry old things will passed away and no one will ever say Im sick.Because in new paradise on earth will become healthy  and in perfect health again all sickness will be halted.Also i never lose hope that someday the cure will come soon .I bilieve this will happen very soon.

My Questions is do you think im fortunate enough being here in this country (USA)?do you think god has a purpose for all of this things happening to me?how long is the lifespan?Do you think i can still pursue  and reach my goal in life?although i been through a lots of sadness or homesickness but i still manage it very well and gather all my strenght to be strong for my family here and in the Philippines.when im sad i read the bible,learned,and smile it was a good relief for sure 100%.

What are my advantages living with hiv in the states?and disadvantages?do you think i can now work?because im planning to get a job very soon.until now i felt sad because there is no filipino community in my town.i dont even have pinoy friends,no counselling and group of people like me in here.but life must go on and always choose the best thing as much as you can be.life is so precious!more power to your blogs and always keep in touch.

Massguy


CONTRIBUTOR'S RESPONSE


Dear Mass Guy:

Kumusta ka? PozziePinoy forwarded your email to me. Isn't he a nice guy? Indeed, he touches many, many lives. He brings hope to many like you and me.

I am glad that you have what seemed to be an effective and caring doctors. You report that despite some initial side effects from your Antiretorviral Therapy (ART), you have an "undetectable" Viral Load, and I am hoping your CD-4 is also improving. The important thing in maintaining health is having a good relationship with your doctor, a disciplined adherence with your medical appointments and treatment regimen and an optimistic outlook. Living with HIV carries with it its own stressors and so I would recommend that you get emotional support for yourself and your wife. I don’t what part of Massachusetts you live in but I am giving you a link that lists sources of support in your state. If you have a social worker, he or she might also be of help to you.

http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dph/aids/resources-guide.pdf

People who live with HIV or AIDS are able to live life with meaning and purpose. I have Pinoy friends who are living with HIV or AIDS, and some for over twenty years. They are able to maintain a healthy lifestyle, and pursue a career, schooling, or some other goals. I know of others who are also raising a family. The important thing is to stick to your treatment and get emotional support (I can’t overemphasize support enough). Take good care of your body and spirit. 

There are advantages in living in the US. In New York, for instance, you can qualify for free or low cost medical insurance that would pay for your medication, lab tests, doctors’ fees, and hospitalization. In New York, undocumented immigrants are offered free medical insurance for their HIV and non-HIV medications, labs and fees for clinic visits. Those who are truly indigent could qualify for housing and nutrition subsidies, and cash assistance. I am not knowledgeable of the public entitlements program in Massachusetts for people living with HIV. You can ask the social worker in your clinic, or you can contact one of those social service agencies listed in the link.

You are welcome to call me anytime. Pozziepinoy will provide you my telephone number. I am a HIV social worker and a priest (Episcopal) and I will treat your calls confidentially. If you want me to link you up with a Pinoy who is living with HIV for mutual support, let me know. 

Do not lose hope. Always reach out! Hope to hear from you.

Best,

Noel E. Bordador







"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



If you have comments or questions, please click this link:






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: