Email 322: HIV and Employment

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 3:50 PM

Hi!

I just wanna know if the result shows that I’m positive for HIV kung makakahanap pa din ba ako ng trabaho and how about the medical that company requires? Ano yung best na dapat kong gawin kasi kung positive man ako ayoko makita ang sarili ko na parang inutil instead of that gusto ko I prove sa sarili ko na kahit meron akong ganitong sakit kaya ko pa din magwork and mabigyan ko ang family ko ng magandang buhay.

Thanks.


TRANSLATION

Hi!

I just wanna know if the result shows that I’m HIV positive, if I can still find a job. How about the medical tests that the company requires? What is the best thing that I ca do in case I turn out to be positive? I don’ want to see myself as worthless instead I want to prove to myself that despite having the disease, I can still work and provide my family a better future.

Thanks.



POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi there.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for finding the blog. I do hope that you can find all the answers that you need here.

With regards to your question, in the Philippines, definitely you can find a job even you are a person with HIV (PLHIV). The HIV Law or RA 8504 is very clear with discrimination against PLHIV's. Also, according to the law, there is no mandatory HIV testing in any medical test required in the pre employment, so no company can require you to take an HIV test without your permission. Also, if in case you have been employed, you can't be terminated because of your HIV status. You can check all of these and your rights as a PLHIV in the blog entry below:


However, if you plan to work in another country, you will be faced with a different scenario. For a working VISA to be granted most countries would require you to take the HIV test. I advice you to check the requirements for a working VISA in the country that you plan to work for prior to application.

Life with HIV is different but not difficult. All you have to do is to be empowered with all the information that you can get so you can go on with your life and plan your future once again.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy




"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



If you have comments or questions, please click this link:






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: