Email 204: I Need Help!

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 2:00 PM
Hi Pozziepinoy,

Kailangan ko po ng tulong. Please, i really need your advice po.

Nung December 2012 po, nagkaroon ako ng "protected" anal sex (though unprotected oral sex) with a guy prostitute. Trip lang, nalasing kasi. Masakit, but honestly i liked it a bit o dahil lasing lang ako.

That same day, parang nagkaroon ako ng burning sensation sa feet. The following day, parang nahihilo na ako and may mild fever (37 degrees to 38 degrees). Three days after, nagkaroon ako ng unusual freezing sensation sa hands, then sa arms, tapos sa may bandang feet at legs. Nag-Alaxan at Mefenamic lang ako. Nag-lose din ako ng weight (8-10 lbs) after 1 week.

After 9 days, nagkaroon ako ng cough.  So, nag-Tuseran lang po ako. Nawala yung cough after 7 days. Pero, sometimes i felt parang masakit ulo.

18 days after exposure, i decided to take the test sa RITM after reading your blog entries. It turned out Negative. I even took Hepa and Syphilis tests, ALL negative naman po.

5 days after HIV test, nakaramdam po ako na parang "nasusuka" na pakiramdam. Pero, nawala din after 3 days.

Ngayon po, after 40 days of exposure, na-gain ko na ulit yung dating weight ko (though mas magaan pa rin by 3 lbs). Pero, i am still feeling the unusual sensations (freezing sensation sa arms/feet) almost everyday. Napansin ko rin po na may white things na sa dila ko for 3-5 days now. Nakakaramdam din ako ng pagkahilo almost every morning pagkagising, then nawawala, then minsan sa gabi, nagkakaroon. Pabago-bago po.

I am taking vitamins everyday, Berroca, vitamin C. I am more active na rin sa mga physical activities like basketball, running.

Nag-consult po ako ng General Doctor about all what i am feeling. Pina-take nya ako ng NORGESIC FORTE. He asked me to take CBC test to check kung may virus/bacteria sa katawan ko. Makukuha ko po yung results soon.

Is this HIV? Gusto makahingi ng advice from you and from the doctors na kilala nyo. Ano pong pwede kong gawing next steps?

Ready po ako sa kahit anong results (HIV man o hindi). Ayaw ko lang malaman ng girlfriend ko, ng family ko at mga kakilala ko.

Salamat po ng marami.

Str8tguy


TRANSLATION:

Hi Pozziepinoy,

I need help. Please, I really need your advice.

Last December 2012, I had a protected anal sex (though, unprotected oral sex) with a guy prostitute. For the fun of it, because I got drunk. It was painful, but honestly I liked it a bit or maybe because I was drunk then.

That same day, I felt that I had burning sensation on my feet. The followin day, I felt kinda dizzy and with mild fever (37 to 38 degrees). Three days after, I had an unusual freezing sensation on my hands, then arms then feet and legs. I took Alaxan and mefenamic acid. I also lost weight (8-10 lbs) after 1 week.

After 9 days, I had cough. So I only took Tuseran. My cough disappeared after 7 days. But sometimes, I felt that I had headaches.

18 days after exposure, I decided to take the test in RITM after reading your blog entries. The result turned out negative. I even took hepa and syphilis tests and all turned out negative.

5 days after the HIV test, I felt like throwing up but it disappearedafter 3 days.

Now, after 40 days post exposure, I gaied my weight back (although I still weight 3 pounds less). But I still feel the usual sensations (freezing sensation in my arms and feet) almost everyday. I also observe that there are white things on my tongue for 3-5 days now.

I also feel dizzy almost every morning after waking up, then will disappear, the sometimes at night, will have it again. It changes from time to time.

I am taking vitamins everyday, Berroca, vitamin C. I am more active in physical activities like basketball and running.

I had a consult with a general doctor about what I am feeling. He prescribed me with Norgesic Forte. He asked me to take a CBC test to check if I have virus/bacteria in my body. I will get the results soon.

Is this HIV? I would like to seek an advice from you and from the doctors that you know. What should be my next steps?

I am ready for any kind of results (HIV or not). I just don’t like my girlfriend, my family and acquaintances to know about it.


Thank you so much.

Str8tguy



CONTRIBUTOR'S RESPONSE



Dear xxx,

From what you feel right now, I must say that what you feel are more of symptoms of 'anxiety' from that 'exposure'. I believe its more than being 'worried' than the manifestations of anti-retroviral syndrome.

With regards to your HIV antibody test, though its very early for it to be conclusive, its already a good indication of your status and that is negative. I will however suggest you to have it repeated after 3 months/12 weeks/84 days for it to be conclusive. Of course, no test is 100% sure but HIV antibodies will usually develop between 2-8 weeks for most people with an average of 25 days post exposure. The 12 weeks time frame is to cover some delay for previously normal healthy individuals. By 12th week, almost 99% will develop antibodies if they have been exposed.

The significance of your exposure is the "protected anal sex' which can now be considered a low risk because of protection. The oral sex is believed to have some 'theoretical risk' but for the most part, this is categorized as 'extremely low risk'. Over-all, your exposure should be considered low risk even with an HIV positive person. We are not even sure of the status of your 'partner' during that exposure. He may not have HIV at all.

From what you have stated and if you do not have any other 'risky' exposure prior to that, you are most likely HIV negative. A non-reactive test after 12 weeks/84 days/3 months is considered conclusive. Rarely, HIV antibodies may develop up to 6 months for person who have immune system problems from the very start like having cancers, on prolonged steroid treatment or you receive a post-exposure prophylactic drugs. In you do not really belong to these groups then 3 months could be enough to at least move on and leave all the worries behind completely. Of course, you have the option to have another test by 6th month since the tests are free but its not very necessary unless you have another risky exposure in between.

For now, the best thing you can do is to stop worrying, continue your supplements and healthy activities, and avoid any risky, unprotected sexual activities while waiting for your next HIV test which I believe is still negative. Try to relax and ease your mind and see if the symptoms improve since most of these symptoms are non-specific, not really pointing into any specific disease if taken as a whole. Your CBC might just come out as all within normal.They are not even suggestive of anti-retroviral syndrome in acute HIV infection. Just try not to over think but start planning to stay negative once you get your next HIV test especially that you are in a relationship with your girlfriend.

Stay safe,

Philip Tjr (MD)
Philippine Contributor




"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: 
Image by FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Tags: HIV Manila, HIV Philippines, AIDS Manila, AIDS Philippines, HIV/AIDS Manila, HIV/AIDS Philippines