Email 211: About HMO, Health Cards...

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 9:56 AM
Hello Pozziepinoy,

First of all I would like to say that I'm praying for you and to the rest of the contributors of your blog. I would also like to commend the people of RITM ARG for there great job and there passion to help us. I believe that GOD is using you guys to make us strong to stand and fight.

I'm hoping that you could advise me.

My treatment hub is in RITM ARG. I just started the treatment, however there are recommended vaccines that I need to take and some medicines that is not cover by the package anymore. Which means that I need to get money from my own pocket. I'm employed but I'm the bread winner of my family. My salary is just enough. I just like to know if it's possible to use my health card for the vaccines and medicines without informing the HMO the reason. I'm scared that my employer might know my health status. I don't want to lose my job. I'm thinking if there's a doctor that can prescribe me the medicines and vaccines that was prescribed to me by my ID doctor in RITM ARG. By the way my HMO is Maxicare (Please do not mention my HMO to the public, thanks)

Thank you in advance.

Family man of Mandaluyong City.


CONTRIBUTOR'S RESPONSE



Hello Mr Family Man,

Thank you for all the good words. I would like to thank you for taking you time to share all of your experiences. Know that we are all in this together. 

My advise will all be based on my personal experiences, as I myself is using my company's health card for some of my treatments (though our HMO's are from 2 different companies). The coverage of the use of your health card will all depend on your HMO's policy and the agreement between your company and the HMO as to what services, treatments, medicines and etc are included. Every HMO requires a doctor to disclose any diagnosis that is related to the service that a patient may avail. This is for the reason that some diseases may not be included in the coverage of your health benefits with the company (most of these HMO's exclude any HIV related medical service from the benefits). Yes, some doctors may limit the information they give to HMO's in order for you to take advantage of the free health care given by your health card. 

Do not worry too much about your employer. If in any case they find out about your status, they cannot use that as a basis for termination. Let me quote Republic Act 8504 Article VII Sec 35: "Discrimination in any form from preemployment to post-employment, including hiring, promotion or assignment, based on the actual, perceived or suspected HIV status of an individual is prohibited. Termination from work on the sole basis of actual, perceived or suspected HIV status is deemed unlawful"

I hope these information helps. Please feel free to ask if you have additional questions. 


Stay healthy,

SurvHIVor
Philippine Contributor






"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: