Email 226: Getting the VL Test Instead of HIV Test

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 3:07 PM
Hi Pozziepinoy.

Thanks for your very informative website. I just have a few questions to ask you, if that's ok.


I just had oral sex last week for the first time with a guy I don't really know and now I'm really paranoid that I might have caught HIV. I know it's very unlikely but I want to be tested just for my peace of mind. It's only been a week so the antibody tests will not be accurate but I can't wait 3 months or 6 months to get tested.

Can I use the viral load test as a diagnostic test for HIV right now?
If yes, do u know which clinics offer this test? RITM in Malate, maybe?
Thank you so much.

XXX



POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi XXX.

Thank you for email. Thank you for finding the blog.

I understand what you are feeling. Although there really is a very minimal chance that you might get HIV through oral sex, however any unprotected sex, nowadays, especially here in the country where the HIV cases are still increasing, should be watched out for.

Regarding your concern, it is true that there is still a possibility that your HIV test may not be accurate yet as you had your "experience" happened just a week ago. The Viral Load test can be an option, however, since it is only one week post "exposure", it might not show accurate results too as the virus may not have enough time to replicate yet. Also, it  is expensive and you won't get the result fast as it will take 2-4 weeks before you get it. Usually it will cost you from P6,000 to P13,000 depending on where you will get it. You might also need an HIV doctor to get a prescription for it. You can get it in all the hubs, both private and government as long as you have a prescription for it. RITM Satellite Clinic in Malate doesn't offer VL test though. 

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy





"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: