My 3rd CD4 is 537!

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 5:16 PM
Today, I went to RITM-ARG in Alabang to get my CD4, Viral load and CBC Tests. I was told yesterday by my doctor, Dr. Ditangco that I need to get them first before getting my refill of ARV's as it is their protocol. I was then pressured to get it as my last tabs of my cocktail will last until Friday of this week. I told myself that I wasn't prepared. The holiday season was so stressful for me and I wasn't eating right because of all the buffets and all the reunions I had to attend. Oh well, I had to do what I have to do then. Last night too, I wasn't able to sleep well, as Tag was down with colds. Perfect time for me to really get my CD4, huh. I called Maram and Let of RITM-ARG and told them to expect me tomorrow. They said that they will be there to assist me.


I came to RITM-ARG at around 6:50am as the schedule for CD4 is only from 7am to 8am. There were 7 people inside the clinic and Let wasn't around yet. I decided to call her and good thing in less than 3 minutes, she was there giving me a hug. She then entered the room and grabbed the prescription for my lab tests. I surrendered a photocopy of my PhilHealth payment receipt for 2013 as this is a requirement for the FREE Viral Load test. She handed me the prescription and after thanking her, I went straight to the Clinical Laboratory. 

I was first in line, as the woman inside the glass window took my paper. Unfortunately, Nurse Lala wasn't there yet so I just sat down on the steel bench. While waiting, two men came and handed their papers to the woman and sat beside me. I was just listening to what they were saying. It seemed that one guy was assisting the other guy. After a few minutes the guy who was talking left and I talked the other guy who was left sitting near me. He said that he was a new patient and was referred by the social hygiene clinic in Quezon City. He said that RITM was far from their place which I totally agreed. Then another one came and I offered space for him to sit down after handing his paper to the woman again. I also talked to him and he said that he is a nurse and he was referred by RITM Satellite Clinic to go there. Another one came and sat beside me. After a short talk, I found out that his hub was TMC's I-REACT and that his doctor there used to be my HIV doctor when I was confined in TMC. I asked what he was doing in RITM and he said he read in a blog by Pozziepinoy. I just smiled. We talked about his lab tests and how he can switch hubs. We were just interrupted by a young man and 2 ladies who passed in front of all us. The young seemed to be in distress so I offered him my seat, which he thankfully took. I stood beside the two women who then talked to me. They asked if I was a counsellor since they overheard that I was talking to some staff of RITM-ARG over the phone. I told them that I am an online counsellor. She then told me the story of his nephew, of how she got worried about him and how they had his HIV test done. She told me that she called AIDS Society of the Philippines and it referred them to look for Dr. Ditangco in RITM-ARG. I then called Maram and told her to make an appointment for the young man with Dr. Ditangco. The Aunt, asked for my number and I wrote on her small notebook my cell number and my blog. I told them that they can call anytime they need somebody to talk to.

After 35 minutes of waiting, there were around 12 patients waiting outside the Clinical Laboratory. A few minutes later Nurse Lala came and called out my code. Good thing I was first in line. I entered the room and 4 tubes of blood were drawn from me while I was chit chatting with Nurse Lala. She said that everyday, they have a minimum of 15 patients getting the CD4 test. She said that cases of HIV are really increasing as evidenced by the increased number of patients.

After a couple of minutes, I was out of the Clinical Laboratory and bid goodbye to the two ladies and tapped the young man by the shoulder, like telling him that everything will be ok. Before I left the hospital, I saw Ate Ellen first and after hugging me, she said that everybody's grateful for what I am doing for the patients of RITM-ARG. 

I left RITM-ARG at 8am, and after running errands, I was back home by 10:30. I went back to work and after which had lunch. At 1:30pm, I called RITM-ARG and the staff told me that my 3rd CD4 is 537. Whew, that was great news. I was expecting it to be low, but still it leaped a bit, even though I wasn't prepared to take the test today. I still have to wait for weeks before the result of my VL comes out. I really wish that it will be undetectable now as my initial VL was 115,000.

So to recap, here is the list of my CD4 counts:

Initial: 70
2nd CD4 : 487
3rd CD4: 537

I told Tag about it and he was so happy that we both said that we need to celebrate!






"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: