Email 180: About HIV and Supplements

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 8:17 AM

Hi Pozziepinoy.

Good day to you my BROTHER in CHRIST. I'm positive and got diagnosed last November 26 in one event of the Love Yourself! Right now I'm starting my ARV 14 day trial and it’s my 3rd day. Well I'm happy and healthy ! My CD4 was 241 that’s why I’ve decided to start ARV!  Question, my counselors and even in the Makati Hygiene Clinic says this virus is not now a killer disease and it is not fatal. Just follow and take the meds as prescribed and eat nutritious food and no more alcohol! Second is it ok to take food supplements for good health ?

Thank you.

XXX



CONTRIBUTOR’S REPLY

Hi XXX.

Thank you for submitting this question to Pozzie Pinoy. I am a semi-contributor in his site and I would like to help. Guess what--my HIV diagnosis is just 2 days earlier than yours. My HIV+ status was confirmed just this November 24, and since then, I have been doing a lot of research about my condition, our condition, so that I can better take care of myself. Part of what I have learned is that at this time, HIV is indeed not a quick killer or a death sentence anymore like it was back in the 1980's. So your counselors and the Makati Social Hygiene Clinic are correct in telling you that.

Supplements are there to help us maintain enough levels of the needed nutrients in our body because the food we eat may not necessarily provide us all the right levels of nutrition always. While they help supply the missing or deficient nutrients, please remember that some of these supplements may interact with the ARVs you are taking, so remember to always tell your HIV doctor about what supplements you are currently taking and planning to take. Your doctor may be able to tell you what supplements you need, what you can take, and what you should avoid (yes, there are supplements to be avoided).

Generally speaking, it doesn't matter what brand of supplements you take; it is what vitamins, minerals and/or antioxidants inside each tablet that is important, and that you should take them at the recommended dose. Do not self-prescribe doses!

Nutrition Needed by HIV-Positive People

1. Vitamin B
Many HIV-positive individuals are deficient in Vitamin B12, and the more your CD4 cells decrease, the more deficient you become of this vitamin. One common effect of this deficiency are nerve problems (tingling sensation in parts of the body, numbness). Deficiency of this may also cause fatigue and anemia.

In some studies, Vitamin B6 has been shown to improve increase in CD4 count. But knowing this, please do not take huge doses of Vitamin B6, ok?

2. Vitamin C
Vitamin C, aside from being needed by the immune system, is also an antioxidant. This isn't very toxic to the body, as really huge doses of Vitamin C simply leads to diarrhea, but you may form acidic stones in your kidneys of you will take what is called "megadosage" of Vitamin C.

3. Selenium
From what I have been reading over the internet since I started researching about our condition, a lot of materials keep mentioning Selenium. I found out that this is also an antioxidant, helps reduce viral loads in the blood and increase CD4 count (note: Selenium supplements are NOT replacement to ARVs in reducing viral load and increasing CD4 count).

4. Spirulina
This one is also interesting, which I learned only in my research. Spirulina is a blue-green alga which can be bought in powdered form. In Big Chill, they sell shakes/smoothies with Spirulina. This alga contains vitamins (A, B1, B6, B12, C), proteins and minerals. Some studies have shown that constant intake of this helps inhibit the replication of HIV in the blood.

5. Carnitine
A lot of popular commercial drinks advertise having L-Carnitine as well as supplements having the same, but for the reason of shedding fat away. For us, HIV+ people, we may benefit from Carnitine intake in that it helps prevent death of CD4 and CD8 cells.


Supplements to Avoid

1. St. John's Wort
This isn't a very common supplement here in the Philippines, but these are sold in health/fitness stores like GNC. Avoid this! I have see a lot of online resources and even the leaflets of my ARVs saying that this should be avoided as it lowers the levels of absorbed ARVs in the blood. Lower levels of ARV in the blood means reduced effectiveness.

2. Grapefruit
Grapefruit supplements and juice concentrates should also be avoided as it alters levels of so many drugs, including ARVs (but not all ARVs), in the blood to FATAL levels. This is just one fruit anyway, so if you are to ask me, I will stay away from this fruit and its products completely.


Seek Advice from your HIV Doctor in Taking These

1. Silymarin
Silymarin capsules (like Liveraide) helps protect our liver cells from the harmful effects of drugs like ARVs by acting as an antioxidant and promoting liver cell growth. Please ask your doctor if it is OK to take Silymarin capsules as this may lower levels of ARVs in the blood as well, but probably when taken at higher doses.

2. Ginseng
Ginseng, specifically Korean Ginseng, may interact with your ARVs by altering their levels in your blood. Whether lowering or increasing the levels, I am not entirely sure.


Spelmark
Philippine Contributor




"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-


© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: