Email 213: OFW Plans To Come Home

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 9:31 AM
Hello,

I came across your blog and I am very happy to learn so many things about HIV in the Philippines.

I originally planned to return to the Philippines (for good) last December. However, I tested positive for HIV last June and started treatment last August. 


The medications I take are: Prezista, Norvir and Truvada. Although I do not have the figures of my blood work, I received a message from my doctor that it looks very good.
My lab work and doctor,  visits are covered by my company insurance and the medications are partially covered by my company insurance and the balance by ADAP. 

The staff at the HIV clinic here are the most friendly and supportive persons I've met.

I am returning to the Philippines before June. I will have no medical insurance and work when I get home and my financial resources are limited.

From what I read from your blog, I can get medicines at no cost. What about the doctor and lab work?

Are the medications I mentioned available?

Do companies require a medical prior to hiring?

Thank you very much and more power to you.

XXX




POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi XXX.

Thank you for the email. Thank you for finding the blog. I am glad that you were to find useful information here. Being an OFW and a PLHIV, I know by reading through the previous entries, you will find more about the entire process of HIV treatment here in the country.

Ok, let me answer all your concerns one by one.

First, you mentioned about the ARV's. I called Dr. Ditangco, the Head of RITM-ARG (one of the HIV/AIDS Treatment Hubs) and asked if we have your ARV's in the country. She said that we don't have your Prezista here. However, she said to bring home your labs and clinical documents so the doctors here can check what alternatives are for you in the country. Best is to have all your full labs, prior to coming home so everything is covered by your insurance there.

Second, don't worry about the HIV treatment here because the government HIV/AIDS Treatment Hubs offer:

1. FREE doctor's consultation
2. Free or discounted lab tests (CD4, CBC, X-ray, etc)
3. FREE ARV's

The things that usually are not FREE in the country are the labs and medicines for opportunistic infections.

Third, companies are not allowed to have a pre-employment HIV testing as a requirement. Mandatory testing is against the law here in the country. You can also work for anyone without disclosing your HIV status. The law against HIV related discrimination is strong here so you don't have to worry. 

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy





"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: