Email 124: 21 and Had Unprotected Sex

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 2:12 PM

Hi Pozzie.

I am glad that I have come across you blog. 

I am XXX and I am only 21. I had multiple partners and had unprotected sex with men. I got scared when I found out that two of my sex partners before have HIV. I am so scared now.


I have some questions.

1.  Can I still get HIV even though I am a TOP?
2.  Can I get HIV even with oral sex? 
3.  Will I lose my job when my company finds out that I have HIV?

Please help me. I am so scared right now and I don’t know what I should do now. 

Thanks

Scaredboi


CONTRIBUTOR'S RESPONSE

Hi Scaredboi,

Thanks for the email and reading the blog. 

Before I answer your questions, the first thing you need to do is to get tested for HIV to determine or you're positive or negative.  The test is free in some NGO's there or social hygiene clinics in the Philippines.  You are charged if it is done in a private clinic.  If your test result is negative, the test should be repeated 3 months later.  If the result is positive, you will need to enroll in a treatment hub.  they will take a blood sample and run a series of baseline tests.  the most significant one here is the CD4 count.  That will be the major factor that determines if you need to start Anti Retro Viral therapy (ARV) or not.  In the Philippines, ARV is usually started if your CD4 is below 350.
   
To answer your questions,

1.  Yes.  Any form of unprotected penetrative sex carries with the potential risk of HIV transmission as well as other Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI's).  It is a lower risk activity than if the HIV+ is the Top but it still carries risk.  This is because HIV is still present in the lining of the anus.  It can enter the Tops blood stream via any preexisting cuts or ones that occur during intercourse or through the urethra (eye) of the penis.

2.  Oral sex is considered to be a low risk but not no risk activity.  The risk is greater if there are any cuts or sores in the receivers mouth.  If there is no ejaculate, then the risk is considerably lower. 

3. The last question presupposes that you need to disclose your HIV status, whatever it is, to the company you work for.  Without knowing your working situation it is difficult to see why you would have to unless you are working overseas and it is a condition of employment.  I am not legally trained.  All I can do is to quote verbatim from the appropriate section of Republic Act No. 8504.  "The Philippine AIDS Prevention and control Act of 1998".  


ARTICLE VII 
DISCRIMINATORY ACTS AND POLICIES

Sec. 35. Discrimination in the workplace. — Discrimination in any form from pre-employment to post-employment, including hiring, promotion or assignment, based on the actual, perceived or suspected HIV status of an individual is prohibited. Termination from work on the sole basis of actual, perceived or suspected HIV status is deemed unlawful.

Credits.  1. Chan Robles Virtual Law Library.

I hope this helps answer your questions.


Stay healthy,

Malcolm Brown
International Contributor


"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-


© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: