Email 113: Can I Switch ARV's?

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 9:43 PM

Hi Pozziepinoy. 

Just a little background about me, my name is XXX and I live in CDO. I have been diagnosed with HIV last September after voluntarily taking a test. Knowing that I have HIV was a shock and I’m still dealing with it out now. My family already knows. Before taking the test, there is this guy that I have been dating.  He has accepted my current situation and we’re now in a magnetic relationship. 
There’s no hub here in my city so I have to travel to Davao, which is not easy because I have to take a few days leave from work just to go there.  I just got my ARV meds yesterday that was mailed to my Infectious Diseases Doctor here in CDO. I’m on trial with Efavirenz and Avocomb (Lamivudine & Zidovudine in one). I’m still on day one but what do you think about switching off a medication that is working but is thought to cause lipoatrophy? I'm worried about problems that may occur down the line, since I've read AZT in the Avocomb is known to cause lipoatrophy or fat loss. Should I just leave my regimen be and hope for the best? Or is it okay to switch? I haven’t told my doctor yet about this concern of mine and I have a little doubt about her expertise with ARV’s.
Lastly, I would like to thank you for creating your blog. It’s been my number one source of information on how HIV treatment works here in our country and what not. Reading your blog truly gives me HOPE. I would like to say sorry in advance if my writing is a bit incoherent since I feel dizzy right now

XXX


POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE

Hi XXX.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for reading my blog. I am happy that somehow I am able to give hope  to all PLHIV's including you.

Regarding your question, I am pretty sure that your HIV doctor will tell you to just stick with your current ARV's. All ARV's have different long term side effects. Remember that you are still in first line regimen and you should be glad about it. Switching to another cocktail can limit your choices of ARV's. What if you have a reaction to the new cocktail, can you still go back to your previous cocktail or will your doctor push you to the second line ARV's? Remember that there is no third line regimen in the country so you really have to play with only the two line-regimens here.

Also, our ARV's are free so we can't choose what we like. It is our doctor who will decide not us. Like what I always say, "beggars can't be choosers". The doctors will really try to push you with the very basic combination first no matter what. Unless of course you want to buy your own ARV's from other countries which will cost you around $2000-$3000 a month.

Like what Dr. Ditangco used to tell me, have a regular exercise and diet programs now to minimize the effects of lipoatophy instead of switching ARV's. 

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.

Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy


"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-


© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: