Email 122: Do The Right Thing

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 12:28 PM

Hi Pozzie,

I am one of your avid fans. I’ve been reading your blog for three months now. I’m happy that you are helping people through all the information you provide about HIV.


I am XXX, 21 years old from Pandacan, Manila. I am a part time XXX student and a part time model as well. I am the eldest of six children. No one knows about my sexuality except for some of my co-models as well.

I have been sexually active for three years. I have accounts in Planet Romeo and Grindr. I get my hook ups there, and I had a lot of unprotected sex before. I have also joined group sex, and have had multiple partners.

I have been sickly this year. I had pneumonia but it was treated. I also had mouth sores, and had very frequent bouts of diarrhea. I was deeply worried three months ago when someone I had sex week passed away. He was also in Planet Romeo and Grindr, and I think his death is due to STD or AIDS. I was so afraid that I stopped online chats and hook ups.

Pozzie, I would like to ask for your advice on what to do. I will be graduating soon, and I don’t want to ruin my modeling career. I often have cough which intensifies my fear. I feel like I’m getting weak.

Please help me. I want to do the right thing this time.

XXX


CONTRIBUTOR'S REPLY


Hi XXX,

I am pleased with your willingness take better care of your health, and I salute you for taking this valuable step into knowing your HIV status.

While it may be true that those gay social networking sites such as Planet Romeo and Grindr promote camaraderie among our community, it is not a secret that it is also a venue for a lot of people to seek for hook ups and casual sex. Without enough information with regards to HIV transmission, people may engage in risky sex which may eventually lead them to acquire HIV and other sexually transmitted infections.

The symptoms that you mentioned (mouth sores, diarrhea, cough, body weakness) are general signs of viral infection. It can be HIV, or it can just be any viral infection. But since you had pneumonia before (which is an HIV/AIDS-defining illness), and most importantly, you know your sexual behavior (unprotected sex, group sex, multiple partners), I believe that the best thing for you to do is to have an HIV test. That’s the only way to know your HIV status.

You can get an HIV test in RITM Satellite Clinic in Malate. It is free of charge, and you can get the result in just two hours. From there, treatment for you will be planned out if you are HIV positive, and post-counseling is conducted wherein which you will be given advice on how to maintain your status (when hopefully, you are HIV negative).

The most important thing right now is for you take that first step: knowing your status.

Email back when you are done with your HIV test. I’m wishing you the best, and I will be praying for you. 


Stay healthy,

Pinoy Positive
Philippine Contributor



"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-


© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: