Email 97: OFW Nurse Got Needle Pricked

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 4:27 PM
Hi Pozzie,

I accidentally found your blog as I was searching for my queries about AIDS. I think you're a heaven sent to my questions. I'm an OFW  currently working as nurse. I was freaking because accidentally I pricked myself of a needle used for my patient. I don't know my patient's history but I'm paranoid in a way because after a week I had fever. So far that's the only symptom I had.


Hopefully you could help me. I don't want to seek labs here in the hospital that I'm working with. They will know.  Hopefully I can get tested when I come back to the  Philippines by next year, month of May? Will it be too long then? 

Thank you hope you could reply. I gave my e-mail add to you. 

Thanks,
XXX



POZZIEPINOY'S RESPONSE

Hi XXX.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for finding my blog. I wish that it can be a good resource for you as you learn about HIV in the Philippines.

Regarding your concern, I talked to Maram Bartolome of RITM-ARG and she said that if there is a needle prick accident, the health worker should be given a post exposure prophylaxis (PEP) within 72 hours for prevention of the virus. She said that this is the universal protocol of all hospitals all over the world. She conferred with Dr. Ditangco about your case and she said that since you never reported it nor you didn't get treated with PEP, the only thing that you can do is to have an HIV test as soon as possible so you will know if you got infected with it. Also, since you don't know the history of the patient, you might as well get a general check up so you will know if you have acquired other diseases aside from HIV. You are a health professional, so you should know the next step to do. I know you are scared but it is better to be proactive now, than regret everything later, right?

If you are scared to get tested in your hospital, do it in another facility where nobody knows you. If you are in a country where HIV is a problem with your employment, then find a way to come home for the test.

Maram said you may never know what will happen between now and the time you plan to get tested which is on May 2013, exactly 7 months from now. I totally agree with her when she said that you should get tested now and why wait for 7 months. Our health is the most important thing, so please try to do it.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy




"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-


© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: