My Personal Experience in RITM-ARG

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 11:08 AM

Hi Pozzie,

Again, I want to begin by thanking you for all the help you’ve given so far. Having you on the phone, checking up from the time I got there until I knew about my facts hours later – you are tremendous. Thank you. Here’s how my first time at RITM-ARG went:


As advised by Pozzie, I went to RITM a couple of days after finding out what my HIV status is. “Be there before 7 AM,” texted Pozzie. The little handy map that the folks over at the Satellite Clinic drew for me on a piece of paper helped me find RITM quite easily.

I arrived at the RITM complex just before 7am and asked one of the guards where the ARG clinic is. They asked if I was a new patient, I said I was. New patients have to settle a registration fee of Php125 at the cashier. I found my way to the ARG clinic after payment and presented the receipt.

I was the 10th person to register that day. As I would later learn, there were other PLHIV's returning for their refill, or to get their regular CD4 count, and others who are new like me. I told the staff I was referred by Pozziepinoy, and they said they were expecting me. The atmosphere inside the clinic was undeniably warm and calming.

I filled out forms with Maram, and got the lab test requests stamped by Miss Letlet and Marvin. Tests to be done that day included blood extraction for the CD4 count and CBC, chest x-ray, urinalysis, fecalysis, PPD. I will need to come back after 2 days to provide specimen for the sputum test and reading of the PPD test. It helped that I had brought with some of the test results from a private hospital which the ARG clinic accepted.

Because of that I was done with the tests as early as 10:30 AM. We then queued up to get seen by a doctor. As I waited, I met some PLHIV's and got to hear stories both from new and returning patients. I also met Shola, who was there to give counseling. She said she has been HIV+ for 20 years and shared her story to us.

I had my turn with the doctor at about 3pm. I was asked several questions pertaining to the history of my health, family medical history etc. That was the best time to tell the doctor what health conditions you feel and really share to the best of your knowledge. He then proceeded to conduct a physical examination.

My CD4 count is low (below 100) and I only intend to make this go up. Having met someone there who began with a count of 12 and now in his high 300’s is truly inspiring. I was prescribed meds for Prophylaxis and have begun taking them.

I shared my results with Pozzie and as always he has shown great support.

Thank you Pozzie.



"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-


© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: 
Image by FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Tags: HIV Manila, HIV Philippines, AIDS Manila, AIDS Philippines, HIV/AIDS Manila, HIV/AIDS Philippines