World AIDS Day: What it Means to Me

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 7:20 PM


"Prior to my Partner, M, being diagnosed with Cryptococcal Meningitis and consequently HIV/AIDS last June, HIV/AIDS for me was like some sort of dreaded disease that happened only to the unfortunate few who were engaged in the sex trade or who frequented bath houses or had multiple sex partners. I did not fit into any of those categoris, thus it seemed so far away, something so unlikely and so impossible, something that happened only to “others”. But that all changed in June 2012. Like many of the email and letter senders of Pozziepinoy’s Blog, I too was caught offguard, definitely in denial, frustrated, ignorant, lost and feeling hopeless. I suppose it is a stage almost everyone goes through once diagnosed with HIV or has someone close to them newly diagnosed. But after this initial shock comes learning, recovery and finally acceptance.

This year, WORLD AIDS DAY 2012 will defintiely be diffferent for me. December 1 used to be just my brother’s birthday but now it will be a day of Thanksgiving, Prayer, Hope, and Support for the millions of PLHIV. My partner and I have so much to be Thankful and Hopeful for: Free ARV’s, great Doctors, our health (I am still negative and he is stable), our family, friends, and most specially we still have each other despite what we had gone through."


"A"
Partner of a PLHIV