Email 669: On Alcohol, Steroids and ARV's

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 6:21 AM

Hi Pozzie,

I was diagnosed positive last August only and it's my first week taking ARVs since my CD4 was only 210. I have so many questions in mind that bothers me and all I do is search for the answers online - I am glad I came across your blog, you answered most of my doubts and fears and am a bit less worried. Hmmmm, still have some questions though that you might be able to help me. Hope you don't mind. :-)

1. Since am taking ARV, i completely stopped smoking because I was also given Isoniazid for TB though am negative to it. Would this mean I would also need to 100% abstain with alcohol? And I can drink, what type and how moderate?


2. Before I was diagnosed, I already have problems gaining weight and the only thing that helped gained mass was anabolic steroids but now that I am in ARV, do I need to completely stop using it?

3. Also, your blog has been mentioning the Ef ARV whilst am given a different set, just curious why.

Again thank you in advance. Am so happy to read your blog, I've been longing to talk to someone about my situation since it's just me and partner who knows.

 XYX

POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE

Hi XYX.

Thank you for your email. 

Let me answer your questions in the order that you asked them.

1. Occasional alcoholic drinking is allowed but since you are new with the ARV's and still with isoniazid, it is best to ask your HIV doctor first. 

2. Yes. Stop taking steroids. The ARV's are already hard on your liver so why burden it some more. Your health is the priority. Anyways you can still bulk up by proper exercise and diet.

3. The doctors are prescribing different cocktails (combinations) of ARV's depending on the need of the patient. This is based on the baseline tests required prior to taking ARV's. It just so happens, perhaps, that there are longer side effects of Efav that is why it is always mentioned in the blog. The cocktails all have the same effect and what matters most is that you reach the goal of having undetectable Viral Load at the end of 1 year of taking ARV's.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy








"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



Want to be ASSISTED for the HIV TEST?? 
Check this link:


If you have comments or questions, please click this link:





© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: