Email 667: On CD4, VL, Symptoms and ARV's

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 7:46 AM

Hi Pozziepinoy,

First, I would like to commend you for your blog :) it is very informative, and really helpful...as one of the people living with HIV, you make it look simple for us and you make it seem so easy to accept :) and I thank you for that

I was diagnosed to be HIV positive last July 2013 and my CD4 count then was 440. Since then I never had any consultation with a doctor or seek any medical help because I did not feel any signs and symptoms, and I can feel that my health is okay...I just have some questions:


1. How often can I have my CD4 count tested? Can I have it at least every 3 months to be sure? Because the doctor that talked to me last time in RITM did not mention when should I come back for the re-checking of my CD4 count, and since I was not advised to take ARV yet I did not follow up :)

2. I am having episodes of sore throat/tonsilitis this past few days, should I be bothered? And do you think this is HIV related? That my immune system is going down?

3. And if ever on my next visit to RITM I will be advised to take ARV already. Are the ARV medications available anywhere?(mercury drug/watsons)? Or I should go there every time I need to refill?

4. During my first visit I was not tested for that "viral load" which I often see in your blog. I just want to ask. Did I missed that test? Is that a mistake that I was not tested for my viral load? Or it's just normal since I did not have to take ARV yet?

Thank you in advance and I hope you will find time to answer my queries. 
God bless! And more power! Long live the people living with HIV!! At least with your blog and our families, we can firmly say that "WE ARE NOT ALONE IN THIS FIGHT".

POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE

Hi.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for the kind words that wrote about the blog.

Let me answer your questions in the order that you asked me.

1. The hubs only advice you to take it every 6 months. However, you can do it every 3 months if you wish. Of course, you have to pay for the CD4 test which is quite costly as no hub will give you a discounted rate (or for free) if you decide to take it in between the 6 month period. All you have to do is to ask for a prescription from your hub doctor and then you can get your CD4 test.

2. Always remember that whenever one get sicks, the immune system goes down too so always take care of your health. If you have frequent sore throat, you need to consult a doctor or even go to the hub. You can also try the conventional therapy which is drinking a lot of fluids or juices to flush down the possible infection that you are having.

3. ARV's are not available in any local pharmacies. They are only dispensed in the HIV/AIDS treatment hubs. The reason for this is because they are not for sale and they are are given as a grant by the Global Fund to the Philippines. Because of this, a PLHIV is required to go back to his or her hub every 3 months for a refill.

4. Viral Load in the hubs is not required because it is expensive and it is the policy of the hub that the VL test is only given for free if the PLHIV already is under ARV treatment for one year (4 consecutive refills in the hubs) and is an active member of PhilHealth for one year during the time of the test. However, you can ask for your hub doctor to prescribe it if you want but of course, you need to pay for it.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy






"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



Want to be ASSISTED for the HIV TEST?? 
Check this link:


If you have comments or questions, please click this link:





© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: