Email 676: Taking Control

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 5:52 AM

Hi Pozzie (I am sorry I don't know how to address you),

Let me start by saying "Thank you" for your blogsite. Now, I was able to muster the courage to finally get tested. Forgive me for this lengthy message. I just want to share my current ordeal.

Yes. I set an appointment with Loveyourself and will face the "life-changing" result on Saturday.

I have been suspecting that I was already infected I guess 4 years ago when  fever, colds, sore throat, and dry cough kept on recurring like almost every two months. I did not entertain the idea even though I know I was sexually active. I convinced myself that these are just common virus illnesses that will just disappear eventually.

Until I had this severe dry cough on July 2013. I still was in denial though that I am "positive". I played a 5-hour volleyball game prior to the cough attack and I though it was because of that. Not to mention that my back was terribly aching, I felt so really weak the following days. My cough, already a week-old got worst. I consulted our company doctor and he prescribed an antibiotic for pneumonia (I searched for the drug's indication online). I know that taking antibiotics should get you well after 3-4 days, but have to continue taking as prescribed by the doctor, which I did. However, I the antibiotic did not do its wonders. I consulted another doctor, this time a pulmonologist (in our province as I was in vacation that time) and prescribed another kind of antibiotics, and a higher dosage at that. Still, no positive results. I got also a chest x-ray with a "clear lungs" result. I was already worried because I know how antibiotics can affect the immune system. 


I went back to Manila still with the dry cough. I decided to have another check with a pulmonologist in Makati Med. I told the doctor everything. From the antiobiotics given to me by the previous physicians, to the number of days I have cough, to the recurring upper and lower back aches. Everything. The pulmonologist's reaction was "these antibiotics should have already cured your cough". Then she asked questions - "Are you sexually active?" "Do you have a boyfriend" "For how many years".. and so on. I know where she is leading. Then she said that she is suspecting PCP. I did not know what that means but what ringed in my ear when she said "HIV related pneumonia...". Honestly I was not totally surprised when she uttered the three letter acronym but I must admit I got really scared. She then advised me to take another chest xray which turned out - again, "clear lungs" result. I was a bit relieved that time. She prescribed another set of antibiotics. This time "Clarithromycin" which gave a big improvement for my cough. She also prescribed a drug for COPD as I was complaining that there are times I can hardly breathe. The prescriptions were helpful I must say. The cough was not totally removed but it was not as burdensome as before.

I thought that I will be completely okay if I continue the medicines as prescribed. I was wrong. The feeling of being "WEAK", like everyday, was killing me. Even if I have a 7-8 hours of sleep, I still feel weak in the office. Backaches and sore muscles, colds and sore throat become recurring again. I got rashes at my back near my nape, cuts in the corner of my lips, headaches. There's this one thing that won't go away - this phlegm-like thing in my throat. 

I finally convinced myself that I am indeed "infected". My understanding on this infection is that it will destroy the immune system. So what I am currently doing is boosting my immune system by taking vitamins, supplements, fruits juices everyday, fruits and vegetables at least in a meal and more water. Somehow I guess it's helping. But i know I need a proper medication.

That's when I started to look online about the infection and I came across your blogsite and Loveyourself. I know I really have the virus but I just want an affirmation I guess that's why I will have the test tomorrow. And reading the entries in your blogsite is pushing me more to get on with life. I really admire your positive outlook that really helps PLWHIV with their depressions. Again thank you.

I hope I can get some more information from you about the medications that I need to take, recommendations on doctors, and the likes. I also wish I could be part of your advocacy. I really do hope I would be able to meet you and talk to you perhaps over coffee or dinner.

And by the way, I have a boyfriend and we are together for more than a year now. He knows that I have been sickly lately but I am not sure if he has an idea about me being infected. I already told him that I am maybe "infected" but in a jokingly manner. And I guess he did not seriously take it. But eventually I will really tell him if I have the result. 

Again, thank you my friend. I will continue to fight this battle.

Kind regards,
MM

POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE

Hi MM.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for sharing us your experience and for the kind words about the blog.

Your doctor already insinuated that you may have HIV but he or she should really have recommended it. Anyway, I am glad that now you have decided to take the HIV test. This will finally put to rest whatever your doctor or you are thinking so better get on with it. It is a win-win situation, anyhow. It is a way of taking control of your life.

The blog contains all the information that you need about treatment , hubs, ARV's, etc. For now, just focus on the HIV test. If your test result turns out positive then I can assist you with all the information that you need.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy









"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



Want to be ASSISTED for the HIV TEST?? 
Check this link:


If you have comments or questions, please click this link:





© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: