Email 232: About Hubs and Support Group

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 3:41 PM
Hi Pozziepinoy.

Good day to you.

I have been a silent reader of your blog ever since I suspected myself of having HIV. And since the tests are all in and result is +, I am e-mailing you about this. 

I am person who was not been very emotional about it. Of course I worried but not to a point of having this affected my daily routine.  I got this because of my carelessness so I need to suck it up and deal with it and move on. 

I am e-mailing you for several reasons as I know you are more familiar about this situation and I hope you wouldn't mind.

1) would you know of a doctor that you can refer me to, to get me moving with this illness? RITM mentioned that there is a facility in The Medical City but have not visited it yet. I am quite uncomfortable with RITM due to many visitors in the Consultation area. Pardon me for that.

2) is there a group that you can refer that I can join myself into especially those living with HIV?  Its really more of a support group and a feeling of belongingness that you are not alone? Of course, it will also help understand and get best practices on how to live with this condition.  I usually prefer a group who is more optimistic and has the ability to enjoy life and have fun amidst the condition the members are into.

I hope its not to much to ask. Let me know if you have a number that i can call or probably meet up with you, if you are free and comfortable. 

Thank you so much for your time in reading my litany :). 

Hoping for your assistance and guidance.

Much appreciated,

XXX




POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi XXX.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for reading the blog entries. I am glad that you have a positive outlook about the disease. Use it to empower you as you walk on your new journey to a better health.

I know that we just talked a while ago about your concerns, however, I still want to share what we have discussed over the phone here, so I hope you don't mind.

Let me address you concerns in the order that you asked them.

First, I agree that RITM-ARG, like the rest of the HIV/AIDS Treatment Hubs in the country, is getting crowded because of the increasing number of cases of HIV in the country. This poses a "risk" to those people who have issues with confidentiality about their illness. Of course, when one visits a place full of patients, one compromises his identity to others. 

The next best thing is not go to a government HIV/AIDS Treatment hub rather go to a private hospital like Makati Medical Center or The Medical City. Let us compare and contrast the two.

1. Both provide FREE ARV's 
2. Unlike most government HIV/AIDS Hubs that provide FREE consultation and free or cheaper laboratory tests, like CD4, X-ray, CBC, Viral Load, etc., the PLHIV will have to pay for the doctors' consultation fees, and the expensive laboratory tests in the private hubs. However in the private hospitals, you get what you pay for as you get the results of the lab tests faster (well, except for the CD4 and VL which is almost the same release time as the government hubs).
3. Most government HIV/AIDS Hubs provide FREE prophylaxis against opportunistic infections unlike the private hubs.
4. Both the government and private hubs charge their patients for the labs for opportunistic infections and treatment.
5. Most government hubs provide FREE or cheap vaccinations unlike the private hubs.
6. The government hubs are sometimes overcrowded unlike the private hubs.
7. Facilities/rooms of the private hubs are better and newer than those of the government hubs.
8. Both hubs have the best HIV doctors in the country!

Now going back to your concern, taking into consideration all the things that I mentioned above, if you have the financial capability to stay in the private hub, then do so. Anyway, the hardest part of the treatment is just the first month as this would entail a lot of researches, trials with ARV's, blood work and lab tests, consultations with doctors, so you can really choose which hub is best for you.

I also told you the HIV doctor to look for in The Medical City if you really want to go there.

Second, regarding your question about the support group, I know of a few, informal groups that meet once or twice a month. I can give you their contact numbers if you would  like, but if you would ask my opinion, there are things that you need to consider in choosing a support group.

1. Is it structured?
2. Are the group members empowered for them to be influential to you?
3. Will there be a sharing of experiences every meeting so that you will feel less alone with your struggle?
4. What's the age and gender of the members of the group?
5. Will there be professional health workers who can provide insight among members?

I already talked to you about this during our conversation and I laid down my plans of having my own support group in due time and I am happy that you want to be a part of this too. But of course, for the meantime, focus on your health first and I will assist you until you become stable.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy





"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: