Email 255: Concerns About School and Parents

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 8:55 AM


Hello Pozzie!

So it's almost 3am as I write this email on my smartphone. I was just browsing the net which is a nightly routine for me before going to bed. Then suddenly I typed "life expectancy for hiv in Philippines" on Google and I stumbled upon your blog. I just graduated last 2012 and started working immediately after taking the NLE. I'll be in medical school this coming June, and we all know how stressful and time consuming med school will be.


Just so you know I'm HIV Positive since December 2011. Honestly I guess I haven't fully accepted my condition until now. I was still in 3rd year college when I found out, I was young and I really don't know how to deal with it. All I did was hid the fact that I have HIV, made myself busy with school and just block all the  negative emotions, at that time it worked. But time passed I got depressed and thought of ending everything. I really don't have a big support group like yours, I envy you for that. My parents still don't know about my condition, it's hard for me to tell them because my mom is a doctor and I'm probably scared on what her reaction will be. Only my older sister and 4 closest friends know about it.

So I'm writing this email because:

1. I just want to vent out and talk to somebody with the same condition. Support groups don't work for me actually, I was a member once but honestly I'm socially awkward especially to people I don't know.
2. Next, what's your opinion and your doctor friends' opinion about me going to med school.
3. Any suggestions on how to tell my parents about my condition. My relationship with my parents, well let's say it is on the rough side, I'm really not close to them.
4. And lastly, to commend you on what you do and helping and giving support to PLHIV. I salute you for that!


Well I guess that's all for tonight. You do have a goodnight!

Sincerely,
XXX




POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi XXX.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for the kind words about the blog. I am grateful that people like you find it helpful in getting all the information that you need about HIV.

I have read a lot of emails and PLHIV's are saying that reading the blog can relax their mind and spirit. It gives them hope and optimism. With the great source of information that one gets from it, PLHIV's get empowered and guides them through their journey with HIV. You too can do that. You can email as much as you want or just make comment or ask your concerns in all the blog entries that my contributors and I are writing. Trust me, by writing, you can really vent out our emotions. Of course the best way is to talk to somebody, especially those close to you, but while you are not ready to share your condition to all your loved ones, you can rechannel all your energies to the blog

I know that going to med school is stressful but if that is really want you want, they go for it! Just adjust your lifestyle and have proper stress management then you're good to go. Don't ever thing that having HIV is an obstacle to being a doctor someday. Maybe, it will be a calling that you can focus on later on.

With regards to your parents, I understand that it is hard. First you really have to accept your condition before you can really share it with your folks. Sooner or later, when you are ready, you can easily tell them especially when nothing has changed and they find out that you have been fighting it and living the life that you chose to. I will write a separate article about this so later on everybody will learn how to deal with parents.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy




"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: