Email 249: Confused PLHIV

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 7:59 AM
Hi Pozziepinoy. 

I am still confused whether or not I'd tell my family about my condition after all, the confirmatory tests hasn't been mailed yet until end of this month.  Though, I already took some "baseline" laboratory tests so that my Infectious doctor in the name of Dr. Arlene G. Macabaya will be able to provide me a set of trial ARVs as soon as possible.


Pozzie, I have no idea as to how you dealt with the stress and the acceptance part of this condition before but right now, on my own, I felt like I am being left alone.  I tried to reach out to those people in Cebu Plus and I always understand the part that they too have other things to consider.  

For person like me who just got diagnosed with HIV, I have a few questions about my lab test results, I will be enumerating them in this email and I hope you can give me a brief feedback about my current health status and what possible ARVs and its side effects will I be taking.

Attached in this email is just the overview of the lab test results, I highlighted two test results there that are not normal based on the reference value.  



My CBC results were good.  I will also have my CD4 count come February 22, I hope you can give me light on the results and at least, I can have follow up questions to Doc Arlene, she is really proactive when it comes to treating people like me.  Right now, I don't know if I'd be able to go through with my Masteral as I already showed signs of quitting to our professor.

I will greatly appreciate any response to this Pozzie, thank you so much and more power!

Rolled Over



POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi Rolled Over,

Once again, thank you for your email.

Let us discuss your concerns in the order that you asked them.

First, with regards to your confusion as to whether when you need to tell your folks about  your disease, what I often give as an advice is it really depends on your acceptance of it. It will really have to start from you before you can share it with others. If you are still confused about it, then it would really be harder for you to share it to your loved ones. The strength of conviction that it exists and that even though there is no cure yet, there are good HIV doctors and medicines available in the country, can really make you accept it fully and later on share it with your loved ones. No pressure. It will take time and only you can make that decision. Do it when you are ready.

Second, I am glad that you took the initiate of getting all your tests done so your doctor can decide whether or not you can take your ARV's. I am proud of you for taking steps because they ensure that you will do what your doctor will tell you to do later on with regards to your health.

Third, on my personal approach to dealing with stress. What I did before was I held my partner's hand and didn't let go. Tag became my strength. Then I listened to what the doctors had to say about it. I just trusted them completely. I believed in their wisdom that the following day I told my partner, Tag to call my sisters and talk to them about it. What I did helped me in accepting it fast and focused on my health. Really, I focused on getting well, nothing more. I told myself that if I am going to beat HIV, I have to do whatever it takes to get better. As a recap, these are the things that I did:

1. First day, I cried but affirmed that I will get better. Tag and I affirmed our love for one another.
2. Second day, I called my sisters and asked Tag to tell them about me having HIV. Tag also told them to tell my other siblings.
3. I focused on getting well:
    a. I ate healthy
    b. eventhough I was in the hospital I did some stretching exercises and walked a few steps
    c. I focused on getting well. I started not to be scared my my lab tests but accepted them in a matter-of-fact attitude
    d. When I got out, I did tai-chi and yoga to relax my mind
    e. I listened to the encouragements of Tag, Tag's family and my siblings

The rest is history, but you can check out my stories here:

1. I Have AIDS!
2. Recovering in September
3. Getting the Medicines
4. Making Myself Healthy

Fourth, you are not alone. Don't think that organizations and foundations are not minding you. What is important is you minding yourself. We are here. I am here. The blog and all my readers are you. You are not alone with this fight and with your new journey. The start of the journey maybe hard but keep on walking until it becomes smooth. Trust me, you will reach it. Trust me that you will get there and you will be well.

Fifth, with regards to your lab test results, don't worry too much, a little number over the range is not a bad thing. Those are just numbers. Instead focus on what you can control which is your health. Think positive and don't let anybody or anything deprive you of that.

Sixth, when it comes to your vocation, consider HIV as just another obstacle for now. You really don't need to quit anything because of it. You just have to prioritize your health before anything else. Once your health rebounds and recovers, you can fulfill your dreams again. 

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy






"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: