Email 238: On HIV Test and Treatment

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 5:36 PM

Hi Pozziepinoy,

May gusto lang sana akong itanong re: hiv test result confidentiality.. I want to get tested sana.. I had an unprotected sex when I was in my 4th yr HS way back 2004... believe it or not pero yun lang talaga ang naging sex experience ko na i think is VERY HIGH RISK... I had PTB last 2007... natapos ko ang treatment pero no changes sa xray ko.. as of now, enlarged ang lymph node ko (palpable sya) since then. 


Concerned lang kasi ako sa confidentiality... natatakot akong malaman ng employer ko if mag positive ako.. baka mawalan ako ng work. marami pa akong gustong gawin para sa mga magulang ko.. gusto kong humaba pa ang buhay ko para makapag silbi pa sa kanila pero kung mawawalan din ako ng work, bale wala din...

Iniisip ko kasi if iaavail ko ang free treatment, bka magreflect un sa philhealth ko causing my employer to know my status..

Pls help me regarding my concerns.. Thanks pozziepinoy!


XXX


TRANSLATION


Hi Pozziepinoy.

I would like to ask regarding the HIV test result confidentiality. I want to get tested. I had unprotected sex when I was 4th year high school back in 2004. Believe it or not, but it was the only sex experience that I had that I think was VERY HIGH RISK. I had Pulmonary TB (PTB) last 2007. I finished my treatment but there were no changes in my Xray. As of now, my lymph nodes are enlarged and palpable since then.

I am concerned about confidentiality. I am scared that my employer will find out if I turn out positive. I might lose my job. There are lots of things that I want to do for my parents. I want to live a long life so that I can serve them, but if I will lose my job then, it will be pointless.

I am also thinking that if I will avail the free treatment, it might reflect in my PhilHealth causing my employer to know my status.

XXX


POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi XXX.

Thank you for your email.

Let me answer your questions in the order that you asked them.

1. About the HIV Test Confidentiality

In the Republic Act 8504, Article VI, it is clearly stated about the confidentiality of the HIV Test. Your employer won't even know unless you voluntarily submit it to them, not they won't require you to take the test. It is punishable by law. So you don't have to worry about it. Also in case they find out, the employer can't fire you as it is unlawful as stated in Article VII.

Please read the entire Act so that you will know all your rights.

2. About PhilHealth

It is true that if you're employed, you need to get your CF1 form signed by your HR or manager to get your refill of your ARV's. Most of the time, this complicates the situation as the PLHIV had to explain every 3 months why he needs to get a CF1. However, I asked the office of PhilHealth before and the staff said that you really don't have to disclose why you need it to your employer as the insurance is yours to begin with.

Now, if you are still scared about it, another option is being done by most PLHIV. They pay for a voluntary or individual contribution to PhilHealth aside from the PhilHealth from work. I know this may be redundant but if you are so scared about your employment, this may be the best option that you can take.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy





"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: 
Image by Google Image