Email 262: About the HIV Test

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 8:38 AM
Hi Pozziepinoy,

Last Jan 31, 2013 I had my free HIV testing in one of the Social Hygiene Clinics somewhere in Quezon city. Little that I know that it would be a major turning point in my life. To cut the story short, I had a REACTIVE result. Since then, I've been very worried to the point that I almost break out of my sanity. I've been praying a lot and crying at night. I tried to remember moments of my life when I could've possibly contracted the virus. I also did research about False-Positives and read some articles about HIV testing but it only added to my paranoia.



Here's my background. I'm a straight-acting gay, I work at a call center. I have had a couple of dates to find my one true love in the span of 2005-2012.  More often than not, it's just the usual meet up and talk over coffee or eat out, kiss and cuddle a bit but nothing more than that.  I only had sexual relations with the two of them and had the chance to get inside me unprotected. We did it several times though. I've got to be honest that I love sex but I am not promiscuous. There's been a relative time in my life that I only had my hands and a great imagination to comfort myself.  Prior to having tested I consider myself a healthy man. I have an athletic physique, I work-out religiously, I eat healthy stuff, I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't even go to clubs or even do drugs; and I rarely get sick. When I skip work, that's probably because of me malingering to avoid work or I had muscle or joint injuries because of an intense work out.

I have read the signs and symptoms of the initial infection of HIV and I agree that they are non-specific. However, I got concerned while I was overthinking about my previous results because I had these symptoms in the span of 2005-2013 (fever, persistently swollen lymph nodes, diarrhea, mouth sores and sore throat) but all in far long separate occasions which go away on their own or with a few medication. I'm typically panicky and experience work-related stress once in a while but I coudn't remember any major sickness that I got within 2005-2012 except for Chicken pox back in 2008.

I've had an influenza shot back in May 2012 which I also read in the internet, may cause a cross-reactivity with HIV tests together with other factors such as other auto-immune diseases, arthritis, immunoglobulins, multiple pregnancy, other antibodies, etc.

Waiting for my confirmatory results is just so agonizing that I even had another test done which I paid thinking that it might get a different result but it turned out to be reactive as well and so they had to send my blood sample to SACCL.

I recieved a text from the social hygiene clinic last  Feb. 22 informing me that my results are ready for pick up. I almost passed out when I read the news!  My big questions are: Is there really a chance that I had a false-positive result because of the flu shot? And is there a chance that the confirmatory result come back as NEGATIVE? Or everytime someone had a reactive preliminary test always lead to POSITIVE HIV? How do they really do the CONFIRMATORY tests?

I haven't went out to get my result yet. I'm too scared because my life depends on it. I hope someone could give light to my inquiries before I get the result. More power and God Bless!


Thank You,

Siberian Husky




POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi Siberian Husky.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for finding my blog and sharing your story with me and my readers. 

Let me answer your questions in the order that you asked them.

First, with regards to your question about the flu shot, I asked Dr. Ditangco, the head of RITM-ARG and she said that the flu shot won't produce a false positive result in the HIV Test. 

Second, about the probability that a reactive result in the rapid test will turn out negative in the confirmatory test, there is a higher percentage that it will also turn out positive.

Third, for the confirmatory test, the laboratories here use the Western Blot Test which is very specific for HIV antibodies. 

I know that it is really hard to understand at this point but the best way to know and to answer all your concerns is by getting your HIV Test confirmatory since it is already available. Once you open it and you need a person to talk to, just call me at 0916-286-2066.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy





"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: