A & M's Journey of Love, Commitment, Courage and Hope

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 10:44 PM

I met A & M, 9 or 10 months ago in RITM-ARG, when I was still personally assisting PLHIV's. At that moment, I was with a PLHIV who donated milk formula milk, diapers (for a PLHIV kid) and money to The Love Fund when I accidentally bumped into them, seeing them both there talking to Ate Ellen in the clinic. 

A and I were already corresponding prior to that. It started with A's email, asking questions about HIV. Like what I have been doing for the past year and 6 months, I tried to answer all his questions for M, guiding both of them with the process of treatment. I told them where to go, explained the process, guided them with the labs and ARV's. 

When I first met them that morning, I didn't hesitate introducing myself as eversince I communicated with A, I was wowed by the couple's commitment to one another. A's being there for M reminded me of Tag's love for me during the early days of my treatment and I felt that It was an honor for me to see love in action right in front of me.

From then on, A would always update me on M's condition through phone calls or text messages. If I need support for The Love Fund, they would open their hearts and help out.

A month ago, when I went to Dr. D's clinic, I once again bumped into A & M. Both of them were delighted to see me and they really looked more relaxed. M seemed to be in better shape unlike the first time I saw him. I was glad to see both them, looking good and happy.

Tonight I received a letter from A and I want to share his letter to all my readers:


___________________

Hi Pozziepinoy.

This is A.

It was so nice to see you at Dr. D's office last February. I meant to email you right away but somehow managed to delay my emails.

I thought it was about time to give you a status update on M's condition. As you know he was diagnosed last July 2012 as HIV Positive. Our ordeal with Cryptoccocal Meningitis seems like a nightmare we have just awaken from. I am just glad it is long over. Although I do somehow find some good in this disease as it was the way we found out M was sick with HIV in the first place. I can only imagine if he did not get sick with CM we probably would not even know up to know that he is HIV +.

The last 9 months has been a long slow process of recovery. Many times I think to myself how it was possible for both of us to overcome this ordeal. We really do have you to thank, as well as the countless readers of your blog who inspire us, the excellent MD's and our families as well. By writing you I feel that I am in a way inspiring and helping others who are in the same or similar situation as M...that there definitely is HOPE and RECOVERY even after hitting rock bottom.

His baseline CD4 was 14 nine months ago, when we found out, we were devastated. Although they say it is just a number and this will eventually go up with ARV, we still could not help but feel hopeless and sad at the same time. I do know that the lower the CD4, the harder it is to increase and this is especially true if it is below 50. But we tried not to think about it and just tried our best to focus and boost his immune system with the right diet and exercise and a very positive outlook in life. We were hoping to reach at least 200 after 6 months so he can stop his Fluconazole prophylaxis (which is quite expensive). Aside from Fluconazole as CM prophylaxis, M takes anti-histamine for rashes (scalp and skin dermatitis) he gets with ARV, expensive eye-drops and steroid creams, hypoallergenic lotions and soaps, and a special mouthwash as he had painful mouth sores. It really is an expensive and long process to recovery. He also had life threatening allergic reaction to Nevirapine, headaches, swelling, and cough it seemed like it could not get any worse. It was really ROCK BOTTOM. 

Now after 9 months of ARV, constant check-ups with our MD, proper food and the right outlook, I am happy to announce that after 6 months of ARV (Lamivudine, Efavirenz and Tenofovir), his CD4 is now 124. Not exactly the 200 we hoped for but we are getting there. He is continuing his Fluconazole but has stopped taking anti-histamine and his rashes have all gone after 6 months. His skin is back to normal, his mouth sores are gone and he does not get dry itchy eyes anymore. He is back at work (not getting headaches and hilo anymore) and is doing great with his job. It is as if nothing ever happened! Our life is pretty much back to normal. I still find it hard to believe considering he was on his deathbed 9 months ago with a serious life threatening opportunistic infection. This is so OVER now!

To add to the good news, I have just finished my series of 3 HIV tests and  am NON-REACTIVE. I can safely conclude that I am HIV- as my last exposure was 10 months ago. I can hardly believe it as we never used a condom ever in our 12 year relationship. I even consider it a miracle somehow. Now I understand the importance of regular HIV testing and condom use! I would like to let all your readers know that regular HIV testing and CONDUM USE can save your life and a whole lot of stress, money and headache! CONDOMS and HIV Tests are so CHEAP or free and available everywhere so there really is no excuse not to use them! 

By writing this, I hope to inspire and let everyone know that there is indeed HOPE and RECOVERY after an OI and HIV. I would also like to stress again: SAFE SEX and HIV Testing can SAVE YOUR LIFE!

Thanks so much and hoping everyone has a Blessed Holy Week!
A







"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



If you have comments or questions, please click this link:






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: