Email 295: Possible Acute Infection and the HIV Test

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 9:13 AM

Hi! 

Been reading your blog and it's sad that I had to undergo this stage of paranoia before changing my habits. You see, I had unprotected sex a week ago and I right now I have fever and cough.

How soon can I get an HIV test done? I've been reading things from the internet, most of which tell me that HIV can be detected at least three months from exposure. Can HIV be detected a week after exposure, and if yes, are such tests available here in the country? In particular, can the RITM satellite office perform such tests?

I've been quite paranoid lately and I wanted to get a test a soon as possible.

XXX


POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE

Hi XXX

Thank you for your email. Thank you for reading the blog.

I understand what you are feeling. The paranoia usually creeps in as soon as the "deed" has been done. 

Regarding your question, you must understand that HIV belongs to the "lentiviruses" or slow viruses. This means that it is slow to replicate, as it needs to invade the cells firsts and use its "machineries" before replicating. This slow process makes the body also slow in producing the HIV antibodies that are needed by the HIV test to detect for the presence of the virus itself.

That is the reason why, an acute HIV infection can't be detected by the HIV test and only after 3 months or 12 weeks post infection can the HIV antibodies can be accurately detected by the HIV test. New technology may have produced an HIV test that can detect HIV antibodies earlier than 3 months, but I am a 100% sure that you can't get it in the Philippines. Also, if it does exist, it may be too pricey.

Nobody is stopping you from taking the test as frequently as you can if it will calm down your nerves and your mind. You can take it a week after, a month after  or 2 months after. However, of course, if the results turn out negative, you will keep on repeating the test until you reach the 3rd month period. 

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy




"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



If you have comments or questions, please click this link:







© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: