Email 300: Traveling to HK with ARV's

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 9:34 AM

Hi Pozzie,

Its been a while since I shared my HIV story on your blog and I'm quite thankful I didn't encounter any side effects esp rashes from my arvs (Nevi, Teno, Lami combo) especially from the nevirapine - just like what others have said that appearance of  side effects were case to case basis and drinking lots and lots of fluid to help my body clear up the toxins, & quitting [smoking] (been 4 months since I have lighted my last cigar... yehey) does really help a lot.

I'll be going abroad for a vacation and this is my first time to travel with a medication. though I know that HK doesn't have any restrictions on poz people, I still have this paranoia there will be an airport problems due to my medications and I will be outed to my relatives (my immediate family does know my status and I'm lucky they are very supportive).

Any Idea on the things I need to secure first in relation to my medications?

Thanks in advance
R13-xxxx-xxx



POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi R13-xxxx-xxx.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for still checking out the blog even though you're already stable with your health.

With regards to your question, if it is just a vacation in HK, there is no need to be alarmed with the immigration there upon entry. However, just in case, since I advice everyone who is travelling to put ARV's in all their luggages in case you lose one, the immigration staff will search through your bag and ask you about your pills, be ready with these:

1. Prescription of your ARV's. Prior to your travel, make sure to ask your HIV doctor to give you this.

2. Certificate from your doctor that you are allowed to travel for vacation and state there your next appointment with him or her.

Like what I always say, it is better to be ready but in most cases, the immigration won't even sort through your luggage.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.

Enjoy your vacation!


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy






"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



If you have comments or questions, please click this link:






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: