Email 282: Is the HIV Treatment Cheap?

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 9:29 AM

Hi Pozzie,

Thank you for the response. I appreciate it. Ate ko lang ang may alam. I feel so alone. Maybe its not so bad?

May follow up question lang po ako about the ARV treatment. Yung mga refill po ba ay libre? Gaano kalaki po kaya ang magagastos sa paggagamot.


Programmer ako at okay naman ang kinikita ko. Natatakot lang ako na wala ako maipon para sa mga mahal ko sa buhay dahil sa gamot ko lang mapupunta..

May kilala po ako na baka may HIV din, wala siya trabaho, hindi nakatapos
at may anak. Wrong choice after the other at baka may HIV pa siya.

Hindi ko alam kung paano niya mapagsasabay na buhayin ang pamilya niya plus yung expenses galing sa HIV treatment kung positive siya.

Baka po may idea kayo.

Thank you again. And more power.

XXX


TRANSLATION


Hi Pozzie,

Thank you for the response. I appreciate it. Only my sister knows. I feel so alone. Maybe it’s not so bad?

I have a follow up question about the ARV Treatment. Is the refill free? How much does one spend for the treatment?

I am a programmer and I am earning enough. I am just scared that I won’t be able to save for my loved ones because everything will go to treatment.

I know somebody who may have HIV too. He has no job, didn’t finish school and has a kid. Wrong choice after the other and then maybe he has HIV.

I don’t know how he survive, with the expenses of his family and the expenses of the treatment if ever he would turn out to be positive.

Maybe you have an idea.

Thank you again. And more power.

XXX



POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE

Hi XXX.

Thank you for your email.

I am glad that you were able to disclose to your sister. It was a good idea, so don't feel alone. You have a person to confide with.

With regards to your question, the ARV refill is free. All the ARV's are free in the country as they are subsidized by the Global Fund. The laboratory tests and CD4 are either free or the prices are low as they are subsidised by the PhilHealth's OHAT package, and the prices depend on the HIV/AIDS Treatment Hub that you go to. Consultations with the HIV doctors are free in all government HIV/AIDS Treatment hubs.

Treatment of opportunistic infections, that arise from weakened immune system, is a different ball game. The labs, consultation and treatment are not covered by the OHAT package and the PLHIV will have to shoulder everything. That is the reason why, I am recommending all the time that PLHIV's should go to the HIV/AIDS Treatment hub fast as soon as they get a positive result in the HIV test. This is a way to prevent tremendous expenses later on. Most people who had unprotected sex, will wait for symptoms of infections first before getting the HIV test and this in turn will cost them a lot for the treatment of the infections. I for one, had a late diagnosis. I had pneumonia and was hospitalized before I took the test. I spent almost P500,000 in just 10 days because of this. So learn from my experience. DON'T WAIT FOR ANY SYMPTOMS! If you had unprotected (not used condoms) sex with a person who you don't know the HIV status yet, take the HIV test fast. This will save you a lot of money later on.

In the case of your friend, he needs to take the HIV test now to know his status. If he has no infections yet, then either he can get FREE labs and treatment (in RITM-ARG in Alabang) or cheaper labs and treatment (in any other government HIV/AIDS Treatment Hub). If he becomes symptomatic and will be needing labs and treatment, he has to go to the social welfare division of the hospital to ask for assistance.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy





"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



If you have comments or questions, please click this link:






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: