Online Support Group In Action

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 9:14 AM

Hi Pozzie,

I badly need help. I was diagnosed last February and I have been drinking medications for OI which is TB for the past two months now which means its no longer contagious. My hub is RITM in Alabang and its also my TB-DOTS hub. The last time I was there I was given a box of TB treatment tablets to last me a month but I did not anticipate that I will run out of them during this holy week. All along I thought they will be open even during the holy week because its a hospital but yesterday I called them and they said that from Maundy Thursday until Easter Sunday they will be closed. I have been panicking since yesterday. I worry that because of this stress I may also miss my ARVs. I will no longer have any TB meds to drink from tomorrow until Sunday. I hope you or maybe a reader of your blog can help me.

I am drinking Rifampicin/Isoniazid/Pyrazinamide/Ethambutol combo which is the WHO recommended TB treatment regimen (intensive phase). 

I don't think it would help if I return to RITM because TB DOTS is closed as well as ARG and I don't think doctors may be able to entertain me during black Saturday and Easter Sunday. 

The combination is Rifampicin/Isoniazid/Pyrazinamide/Ethambutol
150 mg/ 75 mg / 400 mg/ 275 mg

I need help. I hope I can borrow from anyone who is under the same type of medication just to last for at least three days. RITM will be welcoming patients again on Monday so I will be there on that day. I am afraid that if I do not take the medication tomorrow and on Sunday, the bacteria inside my body may become resistant to the drugs and I don't think the second line of medication is not available for free anymore under the DOH program. It may also result to a relapse. Please help me. I am willing to travel tomorrow if anyone will be kind enough to lend me at least twelve (12) tablets since my weight requires me to take 4 tablets every morning every day. When I get my new supply of meds, I will be giving it back.

Like what I said I am willing to travel for anyone with a kind heart who can lend me the tablets. I live in Cavite.

Pozzie my contact number is XXX but I am not really comfortable in giving this out because my family does not know why status yet. 

My email address is XXX

Thank you and God bless everyone.


SUPPORT GROUP RESPONDED!

I received this email on March 29, 2013 and after reading it, I called Maram Bartolome of RITM-ARG and asked how important it is not to skip TB medications. She said that it is imperative to continue the meds as like our ARV's we should try to avoid developing resistance to the meds.

I then asked The Red Ribbon Group, our online support group if anybody has 12 tabs of the indicated TB meds that the PLHIV was asking. Malcolm Brown replied fast and helped me out in asking his friends. 5 other people privately messaged me and all them asked for details. I texted Dr. Ditangco, the head of RITM-ARG and asked her if the meds can be purchased in any pharmacies and she replied fast that the PLHIV can. I texted Dr. J, a friend of mine who always supported The Love Fund by donating cotrimozaxole and azithro and he said he can give the PLHIV his TB meds if he can come near to San Lazaro Hospital or Jose Reyes Memorial Medical Center in Sta. Cruz, Manila. I texted the PLHIV and gave Dr. J's number so they can meet the following day. I thanked all the people in the The Red Ribbon for all their support. The following day, Dr. J, said that he already met the PLHIV and gave him his meds.

That was fast! Thanks to all the people who have helped. It was a Good Friday when it happened and the case was closed in a few minutes!





"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



If you have comments or questions, please click this link:






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: