Email 586: Donating Blood and HIV

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 10:56 PM

Hi po.

Good morning.

I've been reading your blogs almost a week now and it enlightened me a lot and its a realization for me. I consider myself as a discreet bisexual as I engaged myself in a male to male relationship. (just once), but before that relationship I remember year Sept 2010 I had one night stand on a stranger na nakilala ko lang po sa isang chatroom and that's my first unprotected experienced. Yung relationship ko with my first partner last for almost one year and we end up July 2012. Back then, madalas nming ginagawa ung sexual activity, na walang pong protection I am secured na faithful and loyal naman sya that time since nasa iisang bahay lang kami, Now nagtra2baho na sya sa ibang bansa and he passed all the medical exams required. Masingit ko na lang din po year 2012 nakapag donate pa kami ng blood sa red cross, naisip dn nming paraan un para malaman nmin kung may sakit kami. Now I just wonder if donation of a blood is enough to find out if you are positive in HIV? As to date, wala naman po akong naeexperience na symptomas ng HIV, at to be honest wala pa din po akong sexual activity na ginagawa, wala po akong ka relasyon nor engaging into a one night stand. Hope to hear from you so soon..  God bless and more power!



POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi there.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for sharing us your concern.

To be honest with you, one's ability to donate blood in the Philippines is no assurance that one is HIV negative. Even though the blood being donated is indeed being tested for HIV, it is against the law to inform the donor that his blood has the virus. Usually the blood banks just discard the blood, or sometimes if they can contact the donor, they can inform the donor vaguely that there is something wrong with the blood. They can't disclose what they know as HIV testing is always voluntary and the only reason why they do an HIV test with a donor's blood is to check if it is infected like what they do to it to check other infections.

However, since you said that you have no other sexual activities, then that should not deter you from taking the HIV test. Some people don't take the test because they are scared that they might be infected. In your case, you have nothing to be scared about as you said that you are not promiscuous. Just take the test and go on with your life. Trust me, you will be more in control of your life by taking it.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy







"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



Want to be ASSISTED for the HIV TEST?? 
Check this link:


If you have comments or questions, please click this link:





© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: