Email 595: Cold and Flu and Early ARV Treatment

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 8:33 AM
May tanung lang ako.

 im on my 22nd day nang pag- tetake ng Arvs and nung ika 20th nilagnat ako at umabot ng 39c and after 2 hours ng rest sa company clinic namin bumaba din and i decided na mag leave muna para maka-fully recovered. And on the next day wala na kong lagnat but i have a dry cough ( i dont know kung dry cough siya kasi walang plema pero it was a hard cough until saturday ). I drink lang a lot of water kasi yun yung advice ng Doctor sa RITM-ARG last na nagpa cd4 ako. And until now yun pa rin ang ginagawa ko. 

My question pozzie right now inuubo ako tapos medyo sinisinat at masakit ang kasikasuan okay lang ba na uminom ako ng gamot over the counter para sa ubo? Di ko din kasi maconsider na side effect pa rin to ng nevi since may ubo na kasama. And andami kasing nagkasakit sa office ng trangkaso. And  Whenever ma- confine ba ko sa different na hospital kailangan ko i- stop ang pag inom ng arvs? Please help pozzie kaw lang kasi may contact sa mga doctors dun worried n kasi ako!  Thanks! 

A

TRANSLATION

I have a question.

I am on my 22nd day of taking ARV’s. During my 20th day. I had fever that reached to 39c but after 2 hours of rest in our company’s clinic, my temperature went down. I decided to take a sick leave to fully recover. The following day, I didn’t have fever but had dry cough (I don’t know if it was dry cough since there was no plegm but it was a hard cough until Saturday). I am drinking a lot of water as adviced by the doctor in RITM-ARG the last time I had my CD4 count, which up to now, I am still doing.

My question pozzie right now is I am still coughing, with slight fever and with painful joints. Is it possible to take over the counter medicines for the cough? I don’t consider this as a side effect of nevirapine since I am coughing and since a lot of people have flu in the office. If ever I will be confined in the different hospital, do I need to stop taking ARV’s?

Please help pozzie since you are the only one who has contact with the doctors there. I am already worried. Thanks!

A



POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi A.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for sharing your concerns with me and my readers.

As a protocol of taking ARV's during the trial period, you are advised to monitor your body for any signs and symptoms. I know you were advised that if ever you have fever or any flu like symptoms, you are to report to the hub immediately. I know you are past beyond the trial period of 2 weeks (14 days), however there are some PLHIV's who still have reactions up to a month or more.

Since you have these symptoms, plus cough, I texted Dr. Ditangco, the head of RITM-ARG and asked about your concerns. This is what she said:

"Ask him to go to RITM-ARG tomorrow immediately. We need to make sure that flu is not an ARV reaction. Take fluids in the meantime. Sometimes flu like illness is already a sign of severe drug reaction".

Now when it comes to your questions of whether to stop your ARV's when you get confined, the answer is no. Once you are on ARV's, you can't stop from taking them anymore. This is to ensure that the HIV won't have resistant to these medicines anymore. You will be taking them together with the other medicines that the doctor will prescribe you. However, keep in mind that you need to disclose your HIV status to the doctor where you plan to be confined so he or she can properly plan the medications that will be given to you since you already are taking ARV's.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy





"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



Want to be ASSISTED for the HIV TEST?? 
Check this link:


If you have comments or questions, please click this link:





© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: