HIV/AIDS and the Common Cold

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 8:54 PM

I know a lot of PLHIV's are having colds and cough nowadays because of the weather here in the Philippines. A lot of them have been texting me as they have bouts of fever, cough, flu and colds. Some are really scared as sometimes their illnesses will last for more than 2 weeks.
I for one, got scared when I had a cold and was coughing for 2 weeks. Even though my CD4 is way above 550 and my viral load undetectable, even the common cold gave me a scare. I got scared because my pneumonia started with a persistent dry cough. I called Dr. Ditangco and she told me that it was just the common cold and I can take some over the counter colds medications. I took her advice, but after 3 days with persistent dry cough, Tag and I decided to seek consult with my pulmonologist who managed my pneumonia 2 years ago.


After getting an x-ray, Tag and I went to my doctor's clinic. When he saw me, he said that I looked good and he was telling all his patients about how fast I recovered. We chatted about the blog and my advocacies, then with his stethoscope, did his regular auscultation, listening to my lung sounds as I took deep breaths. After that, he checked my Xray plate. His diagnosis? Rhinopharyngitis or just the common cold. He asked me first my ARV's before prescribing medications. That night, I had peace of mind. I was coughing but knowing the fact that it was just the common cold and I was on medications, I know everything will be fine.
For the sake of all our readers who are ill because of the common cold, I researched about it.

If your immune system is weakened from HIV/AIDS, it may be very difficult for you to fight off colds, flu, or other viral infections. That's why it's important to understand all you can on how to stay well and avoid colds and flu. Here's what you need to know about HIV/AIDS and colds in order to keep healthy.
Why Do Colds Pose Such a Problem for People With HIV/AIDS?
The human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) kills or damages cells in the body's immune system, making it more difficult to fight infections like the cold virus. If you have HIV/AIDS, you're also more likely to develop cold complications such as pneumonia.
Which Cold Treatment Should I Use if I Have HIV/AIDS?
When you first get cold symptoms, call your doctor if HIV/AIDS has weakened your immune system. While there are no anti-viral medicines for cold viruses, your doctor will recommend treatment for your miserable cold symptoms. A cold normally lasts a week and goes away on its own even in people with HIV. However, when your immune system is weakened, you are more likely to get a complication from the cold, such as pneumonia. If your symptoms don't improve or you develop shortness of breath or fever, let your doctor know in case you need more aggressive treatment.
With a cold, be sure to drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated, especially if you have fever. High fever -- above 102 degrees Fahrenheit -- is a sign that you may have the flu. If you have flu symptoms, let your doctor know right away. Flu medications may be able to shorten the duration of flu symptoms, but are most effective if used early. In addition, even if you have no appetite, try to eat something anyway. Smaller meals may help until you get your appetite back. Be sure to rest frequently and get plenty of sleep so your body has a chance to recover.
Can I Prevent Colds if I Have HIV/AIDS?
Because people with HIV/AIDS are more susceptible to viral and bacterial infections, it's important to always use good hygiene to reduce the chance of getting sick. Talk with your family members and friends about preventing the spread of cold viruses by covering their mouths when they cough, washing their hands frequently, and avoiding rubbing their eyes, nose, or mouth and then touching surfaces.
Also, regularly use an antibacterial cleaner or a mild bleach solution to kill germs on common household hotspots such as the computer mouse and keyboard, telephone receivers, doorknobs, kitchen and bathroom countertops and sinks, and the refrigerator handle.
Check with your doctor about a pneumonia and flu vaccine for you and a flu shot for all family members to avoid spreading illnesses amongst each other. The CDC recommends that people with chronic medical conditions, including HIV/AIDS and those with weakened immune systems, be among the first to get a flu vaccine each year.






"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



Want to be ASSISTED for the HIV TEST?? 
Check this link:


If you have comments or questions, please click this link:





© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: