Email 606: Sterilizing Needles?

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 12:49 PM

First off, i would like to thank you for creating your blog... Not only you made me more aware with HIV but you also made me more cautious with regard STI (Sexually transmitted Infections). Not only i practice safe sex now but i also prefer exchanging of STI results before hooking up ( for my own peace of mind)

I  was hoping you could help me with this pozzie...Im really not that knowledgable with STI's coz im no expert so might aswell ask you this coz you have doctor friends you can ask. My question will sound a little paranoid, so please dont get upset..


As far as i understand STI's like HIV, Hepatitis B/C, etc... These can be transmitted through either sex or sharing of needles... I actually  have two questions, both of them not sexually related.

1 By any chance, will there be a high risk of STI exposure if im gonna do acupuncture... I'm into holistic health approach and im thinking of getting one but the thought of using needles is killing me. I'm really not comfortable asking the practitioner. 

2 This is related to needles again but this time its something to do with dental work. Im currently wired and go every now and then to the dentist to have my braces adjusted. They took off four of my teeth and injected numbing agent on me...I know they have clenaing procedures ( sterilizing) their stuff but  i got paranoid while watching CNN regarding HIV transmission through dental work... I really dunno what to ask my dentist about this, it might be inappropriate or maoffend ko sila....I cant recall the dentist having hiv questions when they asked me to fill out their health questionnaire... 

Actually, i think this is my real question... Intro lang pala yung kanina LOL

Does sterilizing once will be enough? 


POZZIEPINOY'S RESPONSE

Hi there,

Thank you for your email.

You questions are related so I have to address both at the same time. 

For practitioners, to avoid the spread of infectious diseases, whenever needles are being used, they don't resuse them. This is more practical. This goes to both acupuncturists and dentists using needles during their procedures.

However, as I always tell my readers, it is still up to us to monitor if really these professionals really operate with newer needles prior to their management. It is for us to check all their equipment then or even ask them just for peace of mind. They are professionals and I know they won't be offended rather they would be glad that you are interested with their safety practices.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy







"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



Want to be ASSISTED for the HIV TEST?? 
Check this link:


If you have comments or questions, please click this link:





© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: