My Challenge to YOU!

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 11:52 AM
If you have been diagnosed with HIV and you still have opportunistic infections, please focus on yourself. You need to get strong. You need your immune system to rebound. You need to make sure that you are helping yourself to recover fast.

I've been asked a lot of times by PLHIV's why their CD4 counts are not climbing up as fast as others, even after taking ARV's for 6 months or a year. I even received recently a text message from someone that his CD4 even fell after 6 months of taking ARV's. Although fluctuations of CD4 counts are normal, as Dr. Ditangco, the head of RITM-ARG had told me before, it is not the question of whether the ARV's are really working but the question of what a PLHIV is doing to help his immune system even with the ARV's. Always remember that the CD4 count can be affected by a lot of factors, and these factors too can be made to trigger a better and faster outcome.



My Full Time Job

I remember when I was confined in a private hospital because of my recurrent pneumonia and PCP 2 years ago. On day 2, after I got diagnosed, I promised myself that I will do everything to help my immune system rebound fast. I told myself that although I will be taking ARV's, I have the responsibility to do whatever I can to help my body recover. Since the CD4 is a "gauge", I will do my best to have a better count on my next test.

For 3 months, I stayed home. I avoided getting sick. I protected myself by keeping my environment clean and sanitary. I wore a mask whenever I went out. I followed my doctor's orders. I took my ARV's on time. I slept and ate a lot. I worked out and meditated. I loved more and cared more for other people and value my relationships.

It worked. From 73, my CD4 jumped up to 487 in just 6 months. My doctors were shocked. For a person who was diagnosed with clinical stage IV (AIDS), it was a huge improvement. I was happy. Now my CD4 has been climbing up ever since and after 1 year, my VL was undetectable.

It's Your Turn

I know it is hard but you too can do it. I know a lot PLHIV's have been doing what I have done and they have been successful. Now it is your turn. All you need to do is to FOCUS on YOURSELF first. If you have infections, please take it seriously. Get treatment and follow your doctor's orders. If your CD4 is low, don't go around malls or crowded places or even in hospitals unless your HIV doctor wants you to. If your CD4 is low and you have opportunistic infections, don't meet other PLHIV's (or any sick people for that matter) as you might get his infection or he might get yours. 

Your Only Job.

From now on, focusing on your health should be your "full time" job.  Prioritize it. You have to make sure that you are doing everything to boost your immune system. You have to make sure that while the ARV's are doing their thing, you are doing yours as well. You have to make sure that you are following all that your HIV doctors are telling you to do. 

Your CD4 will go up sooner or later, no doubt. The question is how fast do you want your immune system to rebound. 

This is my challenge to you.









"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



If you have comments or questions, please click this link:






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: