Email 616: "It's My Decision"

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 8:04 PM


Today, my doctor in RITM-ARG said he could enroll me in ARV medication. Since my CD4 count is 374 and I'm feeling this and that inside my body, although 350 is the cutoff for the start of anti-retroviral therapy.

But I refused muna for two things:

1. I'm scared of the side effects of ARVs. Having seen some patients awhile ago who are suffering dermatological problems, I have yet to spare myself for the meantime because I still have to look for a job.

2. I'm not yet prepared for the "lifetime commitment" to ARV.

Was my decision wrong? I hope I could get some advise from you.

Thanks :)
GPositivelife

POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE

Hi GPositivelife.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for sharing your concerns with me and my readers.

Like what Dr. Ditangco, the head of RITM-ARG, had told me before, the decision to take the ARV's is up to the patient's readiness. If the new patient with HIV is not ready, then the doctors can't force the person. In your case, since your CD4 is still a little above the cut off given by DOH, the HIV doctors won't pressure you to even take it. It really will depend on you.

Let's look at this from a different perspective. In the first world countries, once a person is diagnosed, even with a very high CD4, the current trend now is that HIV doctors prescribe ARV's immediately. The reason for this is for the HIV to not replicate anymore and instead become undetectable immediately. Unlike if the CD4 falls low, the viral load can replicate faster and the goal of reaching undetectable levels become slower. In layman's terms, taking ARV's early even with high CD4 can make the immune system recover faster.

Like what I said, if you are not ready and still are scared of the ARV's then it is your decision and nobody can force you. Just make sure to have a regular check up, boost your immune system and take care of yourself.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy







"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



Want to be ASSISTED for the HIV TEST?? 
Check this link:


If you have comments or questions, please click this link:





© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: