Email 597: Low CD4 and Supplementation

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 7:12 PM

hi pozzie,

thank you for sharing & educating new pozzie like me. 

I was diagnosed last aug. 22 and the following day i was at RITM for my baseline unfornately my cd4 is 83.  now i am starting my arv.  i have some query. can i take arvs with vit & supplement (can you recomend brand that works on you). can i take grape seeds extra or other herbal meds for boasting immune system.  I am taking my arvs at 8am & 8pm plus the cotri at 12.30pm. what is the best time in a day i will take
the vit.

thank you & god bless.

FR


POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE

Hi FR.

Thank you for your email.

I always advocate for a diet that is balanced and nutritious rather than resorting to special vitamins and supplements. Healthy diet is more important to me as it helped me before in boosting my immune system. However, after a month of taking my ARV's I started taking my regular multivitamins (Centrum is the brand name I am still using) with my HIV doctor's permission and that's it. I didn't try any other supplement, as recommended by my peers or from what I read in the internet.

The reason why I am against using other supplements to boost the immune system is for the simple reason that the ARV's are already toxic to our liver. Adding supplements with no real proven facts or not FDA approved will just add to the burden that our organ systems are experiencing with our ARV's. The question then boils down to, would you compromise your body organs with what you have been hearing or with what you have been reading from the internet?

I am no doctor, but I know for sure that most HIV doctors are against herbal supplements because they might interfere with the effects of the ARV's, more so burden our body systems. However, you can still ask your HIV doctor first before trying anything. Like what I said before, the best treatment approach to HIV is a collaboration between you and your HIV doctor to provide the best treatment methods for you.

Here are some blog entries that might help you in boosting your immune system during your recovery stage:


Recovery Entries:

      2. Don't get Sick!
      3. This is For You
      4. Above 350
      5. Full Time Job
      7. Just Don't get Sick
      8. Sleep and HIV
     
I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy






"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



Want to be ASSISTED for the HIV TEST?? 
Check this link:


If you have comments or questions, please click this link:





© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: