My Second Anniversary

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 8:00 PM

I have been celebrating my second anniversary of being a PLHIV everyday of this week now. It started  with a grand vacation then a relaxed week, together with my life partner Tag. I can't believe that it has been two years already since I was diagnosed and a lot of things have happened since then, a lot of people I have talked to and touched, a lot of programs that have been implemented. I had never imagined how fruitful my life would be despite having HIV. It had never crossed my mind that having HIV would open wider doors for me.


Being One of You!

When I was diagnosed with HIV, 2 years ago, in September 2011, I was literally on my deathbed as my pulmo doctor said. I had recurring bibasal pneumonia and PCP. I had difficulty of breathing. I had chest pains. I was confined in a private hospital where my pulmo doctor suspected I may have HIV. I took the HIV test the following day and it turned out positive. I was referred to an infectious disease (ID) doctor who, while waiting for the confirmatory, prescribed both the CD4 and Viral Load test. My CD4 then was 73 and my VL was 107, 216. I was confined in the hospital for 10 days, spending around P500,000 on hospitalization bills.


Before I went to the HIV/AIDS Treatment Hub, my ID doctor decided to continue my pneumonia medicines and by the end of September, my lungs were cleared of the infection. 

In October, I was referred to PGH-SAGIP for my ARV's by my ID doctor. I was prescribed with lamivudine, tenofovir and efavirenz. After 11 days of my ARV's, I had body rash which lasted for 3 days and I had oral thrush which lasted for 10 days, thanks to the medicines that my ID doctor prescribed me. 

When my SGPT shot up to 315 on the 2nd week of taking my ARV's, my HIV doctor in the hub panicked and wanted me to switch to the second line regimen fast, as it is their protocol in the hub. With a team of doctors behind me from my private hospital, I was asked to stop efavirenz for one day until all of us (me, Tag my partner and my team of doctors) can evaluate the situation and get a second opinion from another HIV doctor. The following day I was scheduled for an appointment with Dr. Ditangco, the head of RITM-ARG who I was formally introduced by my ID doctor and my friend doctor inside the now operational I-REACT. I was ordered to continue my efavirenz and she assured me that there was nothing to worry about. A few weeks later, my SGPT normalized. From that minute up to now, Dr. Ditangco had been and still is my HIV doctor, with RITM-ARG as my HIV/AIDS Treatment Hub.

Since then, with all the challenges I faced as a new PLHIV, I focused on becoming well. In just 6 months, my CD4 shot up to 437, then after a year it was more than 530 with undetectable viral load count. To this day, my CD4 is still on the rise while maintaining an undetectable viral load, with the same ARV cocktail, with the greatest care of Dr. Ditangco and with the strongest belief in myself and belief that life can be perfect even with HIV.

Becoming Pozziepinoy

I became POZZIEPINOY from the time I wrote my first blog entry in this blog in September 27, 2011. 

I was then just sharing my day to day challenges, expressing my thoughts and feelings through writing, and all the experiences that I encountered when I was sick. I blogged everyday and from then on,  writing became on outlet while I was recuperating from pneumonia, while I was watching my health to rebound from day to day. I started researching and the blog became my notebook of articles, of news and features about HIV and AIDS. It has become my world where I can acknowledge and accept my disease.

Months passed by and slowly people started making comments in my blog entries. Then emails started coming in slowly at first and I thought that people were really reading and following the blog. I started corresponding. Then I bought another cell phone so it will serve as my hotline. I started listening to concerns and questions.  I started giving advices. If I didn't know the answer or is too medical for me, I would call Dr. Ditangco and seek for her wisdom. Pozziepinoy has then become an online peer counsellor.

The blog, Living with HIV in the Philippines now has more than 3,000 readers a day all over the world everyday and the commitment to it is getting stronger. I receive a minimum of 10 emails and 5 to 10 calls a day not only from the Philippines but all over the world. The blog has now a group of volunteer contributors, both local and international, composed of doctors, advocates, counselors and PLHIV's who help in answering emails and write articles for the blog. The blog also evolved with an active Chat Room where PLHIV's and viewers alike can exchange experiences, share concerns and issues and boost the spirit of one another.

The Programs

The evolution of all my programs came in time with the need. The programs were conceptualized with the help of great people who have been part of my daily challenges.

1. The Love Fund (TLF) was formed during one of my consultations with Dr. Ditangco. She was elated when I handed my first donation and thus, TLF became official. It became a partnership to address the needs of the indigent PLHIV's for small medical assistance. Friends, advocates and readers of the blog especially those who I have previously assisted started donating to the TLF. Monetary and donations of medicines especially prophylaxes against opportunistic infections are accepted. TLF Beneficiaries are screened by all staff of RITM-ARG, headed by Maram Bartolome, and every month, for transparency, the beneficiaries of the TLF are posted in the blog. 

2. With the help of Dr. Ditangco and her  her staff in RITM-ARG, we started assisting indigent PLHIV's confined in RITM with outstanding medical and hospitalization bills. The staff of RITM-ARG interviews the patient and the family and then furnishes all documents required in PCSO.

3. Due to the increasing demand for a support group, the The Red Ribbon group in facebook was formed. With the assistance of Malcolm Brown, an HIV advocate living in Thailand, The Red Ribbon became an international online support group of HIV advocates, supporters and PLHIV's. Mr. Yomi Artemus later on became another administrator of the group. To this date the group has almost 550 active members.

4. The advocacy on HIV Testing started as the blog started growing it's viewership. Since many are becoming interested with the HIV test, the promotion of the HIV Testing centres, specifically the RITM Satellite Clinic in Malate became stronger. The clinical staff of Dr. Ditangco in the Satellite Clinic  together with the volunteer counselors of The Love Yourself (TLY) have been assisting people who have been referred by the blog. Up to now, the blog has made RITM Satellite Clinic as one of HIV Testing facilities with the highest number of people getting tested on a monthly basis. 

Aside from RITM Satellite Clinic, the blog continues to promote all HIV testing sites in the country, and explains the testing procedures and fees. Also, the blog promotes the HIV Testing programs of different government and NGO organizations.

5. In August 2013, The Project Red Ribbon's Outreach Program evolved into reality. This is a once-a-month outreach program to a chosen HIV/AIDS Treatment Hub in the Philippines. It entails an inspirational talk by special speakers and guests to a group of PLHIV's in the hub, a refreshment program, giving of prophylaxis and donations to The Love Fund by guests and a tour of the treatment hub. The funding of this program comes from friends, advocates and PLHIV's. 

6. Also in August 2013, the Care Assistance Program (CAP) was formed. This volunteer program aims to assist and bring clients to the HIV Testing Sites all over the country. CAP is headed by our Care Manager, Marky Manlangit who refers clients to our volunteer Care Assistants all over the country. So far we have volunteer assistants from Metro Manila, Cebu City, Iloilo City, Baguio City and Cagayan de Oro City.

7. In July and September 2013, I accepted interviews on National TV as part of my campaign about HIV awareness. I was part of the segments of The Veronica Chronicles of PTV-4 in July and a part of the news report of Bandila of ABS-CBN Channel 2. I believed that national TV can be another venue where I can promote HIV awareness, and by telling my story, about the success of the blog, I will be able to encourage people to take the HIV test, be aware of the risks associated with HIV and the facts looming about HIV in the Philippines. 


What's Next?

I am an AIDS survivor, a person living with HIV. I was given a second chance with life. This is my second year anniversary. My health is outstanding. I have a loving partner and supportive family. My career is booming. I have great care givers. I have good friends and advocates with a similar cause. What more can I ask for?

There are still so many things to do! I need to dream more. I need to do more. There are a lot of people who are reaching out and asking for help. There are people who need to be assisted and be informed about HIV, HIV/AIDS Treatment and about the HIV test. There are a lot of PLHIV's who need medical assistance and support. 

"We are all in this together. No PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV", as my tagline goes. As long as I keep this in my heart and in my mind, the journey doesn't end with me getting HIV. Life for me now has turned into something more fulfilling. The struggle with my new life thus continues, as we continue to encourage action, from everybody, to work hand in hand, and continue to educate and care for those who are in need.

The next steps will soon become a reality with all your love and support.











"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



Want to be ASSISTED for the HIV TEST?? 
Check this link:


If you have comments or questions, please click this link:





© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: