Word of Advice from a PLHIV

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 2:54 PM

I was diagnosed with HIV 2 months months. Like most other Pinoys, my reason for not getting tested is (1) fear (2) if i'm positive, there's no cure anyway.  But I learned my lesson the hard way.

There are certainly a lot of advantages to get tested NOW if you are at a high risk group. In fact, it could be a matter of life and death. As for myself, I only had my HIV test when my immune system was so low and I was already getting all these opportunistic infections (pneumonia, tb, etc.) while in the hospital. These infections are rather serious and could cost you your life, aside from the fact that hospitalization is too heavy on the pocket. Even if you have an HMO, they wont cover your hospitalization expense when you are positive. So double whammy, you go to an expensive hospital thinking you have an HMO, and finding out later the cost is on you!



So get tested NOW. If you are positive, you will be given various vaccines and your doctor will monitor your CD4 (immune system) regularly. Prophylaxis (preventive meds to fight infections) will be given to you when your  CD4 is so low. This way, you would avoid getting various HIV opportunistic infections. These meds and vaccines could save you your life, and save you enormous hospitalization expenses.  And knowing your status would help you to not infect others.

Hope this would encourage other Pinoys who are afraid of the test  to get tested. I know a lot about HIV, but I didn't know these  (prophylaxis, CD4, etc) before, so I refused to have the test. I wish I had my test done earlier.









"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



If you have comments or questions, please click this link:






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: