Email 491: Can I Still Play Volleyball?

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 9:13 AM

hi poh,

can you still play volleyball if ever HIV positive po ang isang tao?
i do not know yet my status but naka pag test na ako last week kaso wla pa yong result.. volleyball player kasi aq sa aming department this coming intrams 2013 maybe september pa poh.. makaka pag laro pa kaya aq ng intense? or do i need to back out na po kasi my HIV aq at baka ma trigger pa yung virus if ever it comes out positive ang result this week? 
tnx n advance sa reply :)



TRANSLATION

Hi.

Can you still play volleyball if ever one is HIv positive?

I do not know my status yet but I took the test last week and the result hasn't come out yet. I am a volleyball player in our department for this coming intrams 2013 maybe in September. Can I still play intensely? or do I need to back out because I may have HIv and may trigger the virus if ever the resut will come out to be positive next week?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

XXX


POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi XXX.

Thank you for your email.

Your question is quite interesting. Let me address it on some key points.

1. Even with HIV, you can play any sport. The question here lies on whether you are fit or not. When I say, "fit" I meant if you are capable to finish the game without symptoms such as, difficulty of breathing, easy fatigueability, etc. The best way to know is to have a physical check up first to know your health status. If your doctor says your "fit" then you can go on.

2. Some people are scared that playing a sport maybe taxing, tiring or stressful and might trigger the replication of the virus. Well, life is abundant of these and all one can do is to have stress management techniques to counter them. Having a regular sleeping habit (at least 8 hours of sleep a day) and respect one's body when tired plus of course, mental and physical preparation for the event are good solutions for this.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy







"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



If you have comments or questions, please click this link:






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: